Recovery

Soldato
45-60g carbs/hr on the bike and at least 30g post-ride, preferably with protein. Makes a huge difference, especially when I'm at the upper end of that band.

Quite often you have to eat more than you think you need, and it doesn't always feel normal, but you get used to it. You've got to think, even at 60g, that's only 240 calories/hr. If you're cracking on with your riding, you might be burning 700-800 calories per hour!

Soldato
^ fueling is pretty subjective, especially regarding intensity and duration. Your body doesn't start empty, even when exercising in a fasted state ;)

Soldato
The figures I quoted are pretty widely accepted. There’s the additional point that carbs aren’t normally required for the first hour of riding.

Yes, your glycogen stores should (hopefully) be full when starting out, but they’re normally good for what- 90/120 mins without replenishment?

For the OP who is mystified by nutrition, it’s a good place to start.

Soldato
It certainly would, back in my teens in the late 1980s, glandular fever kept me off school for ~3 months IIRC. I can remember playing football during a sport session and my energy levels were inexplicably really poor, just before I was diagnosed. Back then, I did loads of sport at a decent level, but cycling was just a form of transport and not a fitness tool.

Back
Top Bottom