Recycling Oil touched equipment

Associate
Hi peeps,

I will be taking my old oil to a oil recycling place tommorow

Just 1 question tho, what do I do with funnels etc that have touched the oils? Best to rinse them of (let that drain into the oil then dispose) or should the low amount of oils on these be ok to simply chuck in the bin without causing issues.

Cheers

Soldato
don't use them in the kitchen afterwards, but i clean mine with acetone/meths/white spirit or whatever solvent i have in abundance and use them again for car related stuff

Soldato
don't use them in the kitchen afterwards, but i clean mine with acetone/meths/white spirit or whatever solvent i have in abundance and use them again for car related stuff

Exactly...why would you throw them away? :confused: You don't even need any solvents, just give them a wipe over with a bit of rag or kitchen roll and put them away for next time.

Soldato
Wipe with rag. Done. You get a pretty coloured flame if you burn the rag too, that wouldn't fit in with the hippy thing though, I wouldn't imagine.

Soldato
There are places to recycle oil these days? ;)

I assumed everyone just took the sump plug off and got out of the way of steaming hot oil pouring everywhere!

The Exxon Valdez tanker lost millions of oil to the sea, another 4 litres from my car aint gunna do any harm :p

Soldato
Reminds me i have about 4 litres o the stuff to get wrid of.

Last load was in a milk carton. One of the big plastic ones. Couldnt be botherd ghoing to the dump so left it in the garage came in one day to find the carton had melted and was pouring oil everywhere. Wont do that again.

Must have affected the plastic some how.

Man of Honour
wipe and save for next time, as for the oil it is the best weed killer known to man. Got a wall you always have weeds growing up the side of. Pour a thin line of the oil along the bottom. Or take it to the dump. absolutely no point throwing out funnels and stuff though. And if you really want to clean them use something like paraffin.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
There are places to recycle oil these days? ;)

I assumed everyone just took the sump plug off and got out of the way of steaming hot oil pouring everywhere!

The Exxon Valdez tanker lost millions of oil to the sea, another 4 litres from my car aint gunna do any harm :p

I'm no tree hugger as you probably know but i really hope that you dont really do that :eek:

Back
Top Bottom