1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

redhat / centos upgrade warning

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by peterwalkley, Aug 1, 2020.

1. peterwalkley

Mobster

Watch out if you are running redhat or centos: there is a stuffed update that can cause your system to become unbootable: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1861977

I ran a yum update as normal and its knackered, none of the suggestions on various threads fix it for me as yet.

EDIT: ISSUE IS FIXED.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020 at 8:07 PM
  2. opethdisciple

Capodecina

I was just about to start a thread on this. I'm confused to be honest.

We run Centos 7 at work which apparently is also affected. However I can see posts from the Centos team implying they have issued updated packages.

For example:

Start of thread post

Next post regarding updated files

Next post regarding updated files

And the last one

These posts imply the Centos team (and they work downstream from Red Hat so that implies Red Hat have the files too) have patched the issue with new files.

But I am unsure either way if it is or isn't resolved. From your post it seems it isn't.

But I am confused. :/

The official Red Hat remediation for this issue is found here.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  3. peterwalkley

Mobster

If it helps any, I'm running Centos 8.2.2004, not 7. It was just last night I ran the yum update (about 8pm 31st July ...) IF they've fixed it, the fixes aren't on the mirrors yet and I'm not noticing anything new when I try an update again - once I can get in via the troubleshooting mode (and also chroot and get the networking running).

If you've not updated yet, I'd advise very strongly to not do it for at least a week until the picture is clearer.

4. opethdisciple

Capodecina

Apparently the fixes for this issue are now available.

Probably best as mentioned earlier to give it until next week to apply the patches to be on the safe side.

5. peterwalkley

Mobster