RedHat5.4 wont install on laptop

Soldato
The dvd will start installing on my main pc so the disk seams ok.

When booting from dvd on laptop the installation process freezes at the same point everytime: pic below.
I've tried different install options inc. noprobe, resolution, mem etc but still freezes at same place.

Laptop is an old'ish Gateway W340UA, 1.8 sempron, 2gig ram, nvidia 430 chipset with nvidia GO 6100 gfx.
The laptop is currently running great with Windows7, even with aero, clear fonts etc. but I fancy learning how use linux so was going try it on the laptop as all I need it for is the net.

Image1.jpg

Image2.gif

Anyone any ideas, thanks

Soldato
OP
Well I managed install redhat9 & dualboot with win7.

The disk partitioner was a bit retarded & I had to pretend install w7 so I could use its install-drive-tools to free up space for linux.

Now I have to learn this linux, starting with a lack of wifi/graphics drivers lol.

Associate
Now I have to learn this linux, starting with a lack of wifi/graphics drivers lol.

Thats the best way ;)

Although I'm not sure if going back to RHEL9 is worthwhile. Any reason why you are using RHEL in particular? I'm guessing you are not paying for support/updates.

I would recommend CentOS as an alternative.

Soldato
OP
Oh is rhel9 not v-good? I cant believe how old the built-in drivers are & theres no drivers for my 2yr old laptop for nvidiaGO & realtek 8185.
I have rhel5, slax, fedora11 but they wont install.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh is rhel9 not v-good?
I have rhel5, slax, fedora11 but they wont install.

Its not that RHEL9 isn't very good I am just making the presumption that you are either learning for work purposes or for certification in which it would make sense to go for the latest version.

Soldato
OP
OMG I dont believe it... the password 'noapic' allowed red hat 5 past the error above..

much thanx man

Right, just installed RHEL5.4 & it auto installed graphics/wifi.
Starting to like this now its not in 800x600 lol. Its very hands-on :)
Glad Ive also got 40hrs of instructional vids on a dvd for this too.

Sorry for the noob questions, I feel like I did when moving from amiga3.1 (the dogs) to win98 (what a faster piece of crap).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah I know its not a password, just felt like one to get it work lol
I just discovered rhel5.4 was released 2nd sep09 so no wonder it found all my hardware.
Rh9 was hard to install / setup partitions etc especially with dual booting w7 but rhel5.4 was a breeze.
Now trying get it connect to my wifi so I can start using it all the time, except when I need remotely control my XP server which I currently use radmin viewer for.
Also I hope theres msn for linux then im sorted.

Back
Top Bottom