Reference quality 4k Hdr blu rays

Associate
new to 4k HDR just picked up xbox one x going to buy a few discs,

apparently pacific rim and black panther are demo material.

any others people have seen that are recommended ?.

Associate
You will need a dedicated UHD player for the best results with a Dolby Vision display as the Xbox doesn't support that through the disc player, only streaming.

But as far as good looking movies go you should get The Revenant and Blade Runner 2049 as they are regarded as reference quality by a few.

Transformers The Last Knight is another one.

I have been quite pleased with Spiderman Homecoming, Jumanji 2017 and Avengers Infinity War.

I did notice something on the Xbox though. Sometimes the bright highlights won't hit peak brightness unless I change the colour space from limited to full and back to limited in the Xbox settings.

It's probably some kind of hand shaking bug or something.

I might soon buy a Sony X700 UHD player or an Apple TV device. Still researching though as the Apple might be more convenient.

The Sony XF90 is an very nice TV and I am very happy with it.

Soldato
The apple tv 4k device is very handy . It has a lot more Dolby Vision films that are actually available on disc. Added to the problem that not many players do DV .

I pick up titles I want digitally on the cheapn a discs I really want.

Associate
OP
The Sony XF90 is an very nice TV and I am very happy with it.

aye just got that tv loving it so far shame about the dolby vision on the xbox didn't know about that

BP was not filmed in 4K ... and I can't see if the special effects were, as forbes suggest, only 2K, which I though was still the most common ... which films have genuine 4k effects ?

not sure tbh i read somewhere it was decent black panther ,actually went to hmv the other day the 4k section was tiny reminded me of the very early days of dvd.

The apple tv 4k device is very handy . It has a lot more Dolby Vision films that are actually available on disc. Added to the problem that not many players do DV .

I pick up titles I want digitally on the cheapn a discs I really want.

yeah i was thinking of buying apple tv at some point next year when me wallet has recovered :p in terms of physical discs I'm running out space to keep them all

will check out all the suggestions thanks all.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As far as I'm aware all the Marvel films have a 2K DI and are upscaled to 4K.

Having said that, John Wick Chapter 2 looks and sounds fantastic and only has a 2K DI.

For me UHD is not all about the resolution. It's the HDR and wide colour gamut as well that lift image quality above standard Blu-ray.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Mission Impossible Fallout, watched this in Dolby Vision recently, the overall picture throughout is average, but the IMAX scenes at the end of the movie are the best I have seen yet on UHD.

Soldato
yeah i was thinking of buying apple tv at some point next year
wait for the cheaper apple stick+service next march ... but I guess they will have deals on the current model to clear stock, for sub£50 I'm more interested,
but can't see why they won't deliver a smart tv app.

But don't forget that they add grain to some films(which I hate)and it's more pronounced on a 4K TV
are there many where it is not because it is a legacy transfer ? ( or apparently, to hide poor lense resolution in low light )

textual list here , i had not spotted before .. beter than fake4k site
http://gadgetflux.net/list-of-4k-mastered-hollywood-movies/

Soldato
there are some cracking films listed as fake noooo king kong is one of them :( but pacific rim even though it's not true 4k still gets stella reviews kinda confusing to a newbie.

https://www.avforums.com/review/pacific-rim-4k-blu-ray-review.15123

https://referencehometheater.com/review/pacific-rim-ultrahd-blu-ray-review/

Don't bother with them fake or real 4k websites, as you say some are fake 4k but are still quality, such as Bladerunner 2049 that gets top marks. As someone suggested AVForums is a very good site to check reviews of UHD discs, if there is a particular movie you like always look for a review of the disc on AVF, Every movie you can think of has plenty of discussion and feedback on that site as well.

Soldato
I agree with others about the BBC offerings, Planet Earth 2, Blue Planet 2 and the recently released Dynasties are stunning.

Some of the IMAX scenes in Dunkirk are reference (imo) too.

Soldato
Anything shot in 70mm will probably near the top.

2001 and Bladerunner are my two choices of the 2 best movies i have in 4k. Bladerunner in particular is jaw dropping. I hear BR 2049 is pretty amazing too but i haven't got that yet

Back
Top Bottom