Refreshed iMacs inbound

Soldato
10th gen, same design. New screen (Nano-texture like the XDR Pro screen??) looks interesting though?

Should have a 10 core i9/Non-texture screen with the middle graphics card here shortly, it will be interesting to see how it performs against the iMac Pro I have here (it's only the 8 core one).

Also they've dropped the 8 core iMac Pro so effectively just a price drop.

I'm vaguely disappointed on the same chassis design? Not quite sure why though! The bezels have never really bothered me - but perhaps I just like the shiny :):p

Soldato
OP
Just noticed the ones we've got coming in are 1Gbe not 10Gbe. WHHHHYY! I'm going to throw virtual rocks at somebody tomorrow. With only 2 TB3 ports that's going to be irritating.

Specs we've got coming are:

i9 10 Core
Nano-Tech Screen
16Gb (We'll upgrade afterward....why they've not just ordered the base 8Gb is beyond me...although may have come down to delivery dates maybe?)
5700/8GB
GB Ethernet
512Gb SSD

Due Tuesday apparently. If there's any specific tests anyone would like me to run let me know and I'll do my best to sort.

Soldato
OP
There won’t be another Intel-based iMac Pro.

Agreed, and it's a shame tbh. I've a couple of them, and they're the best bits of computer kit I've bought in years. I'll struggle going back to 2 TB3 ports for a start. 1 for the hub & second screen, 2nd for the 3rd screen, and that's it.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I was just looking at the pricing. 64Gb 16" MBP/1TB SSD for nearly 600 quid cheaper than the Apple Edu Store?

I can see they have a fair bit to do with Westcoast too - used those a lot via work. About 400 million turnover. Cool, so they're not a fly by night :) Also looks like you can have multiple purchases which you can't through the Apple Edu store. 1 per education term.

Soldato
OP
My 10 core i9/16GB/5700(8GB)/Nano-Screen has landed and is in my hall.

New toys, yay.

Still only 2 TB3 ports though means it won't be replacing my iMac Pro.

Soldato
OP
Here you go. Benchmarks are pretty impressive.

2020--08-15Benchmarks.png

Soldato
OP
I'm not cramped for space at all - I've another two 27" screens plugged in to my iMac Pro. Add in the 4 TB3 ports and it's a very capable setup.

Back
Top Bottom