Registering a domain and setting up a holding page - Beginners first steps?

Associate
Hello,

I would like to register a domain - It's nothing special but it's along the lines of a project I'm considering. At this stage I really don't want/need a website but I'd like to secure it in case I do end up doing something with it... I can always let it lapse in a year or so if I don't need it.

So - Please help a beginner! Here are a few questions but if there is anything additional you would like to suggest please do!

1) What's the best/cheapest place to buy the domain from?

2) Any advice regarding TLDs? I'm in the UK and this is only for hobby purposes at the moment and so I don't see the next to go .com etc but if this is a 'bad move' as far as website regulars are concerned I'll consider it.

3) What service can I use to host email and a basic blog on this domain? I assume that I won't need hosting for this (?) and email and a basic blog (where I post some basic updates and photographs) would be all that I'd require for now.

In the future, if I pursue the idea/don't get bored of it before hand, I might look into web design and try and create a 'proper' website but for now this is very much a secondary project compared to the subject I intend to use it for but for the small outlay of the domain I think it'd be nice for using it to register accounts using an email address on this domain, etc.

Anything else I should consider would be very welcomed - It's all new to me but that's the fun of any project... The other spin-off interests that can be developed from it!

Thank you! :)

Soldato
For a "cheap" domain, go with a .co.uk
I personally use 123-reg but they are apparently making some not too nice changes shortly.
For email, 123-reg allow a free forward, I have a catchall sending all the mail from my domain(s) to my gmail account.

For a very quick and easy "up" for hosting and getting a page made. I use Weebly as they are free and the CMS is very user friendly. To see a Weebly site try my forum name .co.uk

Associate
OP
For a "cheap" domain, go with a .co.uk
I personally use 123-reg but they are apparently making some not too nice changes shortly.
For email, 123-reg allow a free forward, I have a catchall sending all the mail from my domain(s) to my gmail account.

For a very quick and easy "up" for hosting and getting a page made. I use Weebly as they are free and the CMS is very user friendly. To see a Weebly site try my forum name .co.uk

That website looks absolutely perfect. Do I need hosting for this or does Weebly host and the domain is just redirected to their site?

I know it sounds very basic but can you please explain each step I'd need to go through - starting with purchasing the domain (and anything else as necessary) to the stage of a website such as yours (more basic to begin with but it's sort of direction I'd like to reach) including email.

Soldato
Same for TSO Host, they have been really good for me, also answered many of my stupid questions without laughing:D

Soldato
That website looks absolutely perfect. Do I need hosting for this or does Weebly host and the domain is just redirected to their site?

I know it sounds very basic but can you please explain each step I'd need to go through - starting with purchasing the domain (and anything else as necessary) to the stage of a website such as yours (more basic to begin with but it's sort of direction I'd like to reach) including email.

Glad you like it. Weebly host it for you so no need for additional hosting.
To get to a live site am you need to do is;
Buy domain
Create account and build site with Weebly
Tell Weebly you will use your own domain
Point the dns of your domain at Weebly ips
Done!
Or like I do spend hours tweaking it needlessly

Add per 1st post. I use 123 reg and they let you setup a catchall mail forward so email isn't a worry either (for me)

Associate
OP
Thanks for additional info. Which pricing tier do you use? You don't have the Weebly banner so I assume it's not the free one.

Need to look and work out which place is cheapest to buy a domain. A bit of a learning curve :) Lot's to do and learn!

Soldato
Yeah I upgraded about a year ago and regretted it as I don't actually use the pro features. Once my year is up unless I can move to paying it monthly I won't be renewing the pro features.

Soldato
I used fatcow for mine. Same services as the above, always had very good customer service from them.

TIP: If you decide to buy from FatCow go to the cart page just before you confirm to buy and go to close the tab. It will offer you a last chance offer with like 40% off. This worked for me last year so i don't know if its changed. Worth a try though to save some pennies.

Back
Top Bottom