reinstall windows and new mobo

Soldato
hi there

I changed my fried mobo which was an ASUS P6TSE to a Gigabyte UD5 both are X58 chipset.

I was surprised after changing over the hardware system went straight into windows and no errors at the moment.

Do I still need to reinstall windows?

Please advise

Thanks

Man of Honour
If the chipset is the same it will be fine, as you found out. Even if you keep the same manufacturer chipset it will generally work as well.

It is due to the hard disk controller to whether it will work or not.

No need to re-install. Just uninstall any drivers that aren't needed anymore, i.e. if the sound card or network onboard is different. Probably worth installing the latest Intel chipset drivers as a matter of course as well - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...=Intel®+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility

Associate
As duke said. uninstall anything not needed and make sure current drivers are up to date

i personally always re-install just in case is causes issues in future. (if you dont remove all drivers arnt needed etc could cause system to crash / blue screen with future drivers)

Soldato
OP
no BSOD yet or freezing etc

I was thinking of installing the new mobo drivers though but dont know what to uninstall other then the sound drivers?

Last edited:
Associate
Theres also a program called driver sweeper. think its free

that runs through your system. picks up all unused or left over drivers and gets rid

could try this?

Man of Honour
Which drivers in particular? If device manager is happy it has found and installed all the drivers, the only one needed is the Intel chipset one which I linked to.

Soldato
OP
the sound, chipset and lan drivers...

i am in process of updating gfx card drivers as well...

usually i would reinstall windows but think if it was needed windows would be crashing and nothing would work which is not the case

Man of Honour
The network card is very similar - just different version of the Realtek chip, which Windows will install for you, so that is fine. The sound cards are also both Realtek and just slightly different versions, so again should be no need to do anything here either.

Back
Top Bottom