reinstalling W7 64 bit or 32 bit

Associate
hello all, im getting random crashes. (pc dosnt not respond to any user input, and screen stays on the window you was on)
no blue screen just the pc freezes
when gf plays facebook games, or sometimes when i play non youtube videos

its been good for a day or two but can just run like this then crash 4-8 times in a day some time once maybe not at all

spec is in sig apart from i not have a 8800gtx and the Q6600 has the pin mod running 3ghz @ 1.3v temps are cpu 34 idle, load is about 50ish not tested it in a long while. but temps rarely rise and i dont play 3d intense games any more

any way do i stay with 64bit or go down to 32bit? i dont think the 64bit part is causing me problems but wondered if its be better off?

cheers

ntg

ntg

Associate
Does the system un-freeze after 3-4 minutes of waiting?

If yes then you should look at your hard-disk, it may have dropped into PIO mode. I get this sometimes in my pc where everything freezes and becomes unresponsive to keyboard/mouse input for literally around 3 minutes. Then it comes back again and then it will freeze again in a couple of minutes.

The solution is to uninstall the ide driver and reboot.

Associate
OP
@asim yes i thought id best but just couldnt make a desion

@ kgi i have sata, and no it dosnt unfreeze, i know this becasue it frooze the first time and my gf left it and it had to be reset. and the hdd isnt that old, plus i scanned the hdd with a hdd programme and theres no bad sectors and 100% health

@Sirius yes and im either looking at the wrong bit but it just says google crashed, but this problem happens on all browsers.

it can stay idling all day long and then be used and never have a problem. then some days itll freeze on random accosins mostly while she plays a certain fb game called fronterville. and some online vids

ok think i found something

under critical says kernal power
and The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

ntg

ntg

Associate
@ kgi i have sata, and no it dosnt unfreeze, i know this becasue it frooze the first time and my gf left it and it had to be reset. and the hdd isnt that old, plus i scanned the hdd with a hdd programme and theres no bad sectors and 100% health

Doesn't sound like an hd problem then.

However, I have SATA too but it doesn't matter. I meant to say it falls to PIO from DMA mode. How new or old the disks are doesn't matter as well as whether they have bad sectors or not - it can happen on any disk and it might be down to the SATA cable that causes the disruption of data between mobo-hd. Anyway I doubt it's an hd problem with what you are mentioning, good luck and I hope you sort it out! (don't think reinstalling OS will help though, sounds like a hardware issue)

Associate
OP
just from looking up kernal power, it seems W7 can some times be uncompatible with some programmes in certain circumstances. ie java, flash, or browsers.

what i might do is find out what wires are which on my psu and give the gpu its own rail, as im not sure if i have,
to be fair all i got is 2 dvd drives 1 hdd and the gpu.

i also have stock cooling on a 3ghz Q6600!! but stabel temps made me never buy a different cooler, namley a tuniq tower

Associate
OP
yer learnt that too. im reluctant to reinstall now. checked caps checked drivers, been fine allday so hopefully its ok, if not then im going to remove pin mod then put the 8800gtx on its own rail, if it isnt already, and then go from there. if not then strip down, sell and a i5/7 setup

Back
Top Bottom