• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Relatively poor performance from my 970

Soldato
Hey all - my 970 seems to be struggling.

I game at 1080p.
I'm currently running an i5 2500k clocked st 4ghz with 8GB of ram on windows 10. My 970 is overclocked somewhat also through after burner.

Now in BF1 in particular I'm getting fps in the 20-30's at times (ultra settings) and despite msnually cranking a lot of settings down, the improvement is marginal.

I'm running games of my Samsung SSD.

Something isn't right - heck in world of Warcraft I can often chug along in the 30fps range also.

Drivers are bang up to date.

Where would you start with this? I'm tempted to do a clean windows install but it's not the quickest of jobs....

Soldato
I have seen a few people mention that i5s are pushed hard in BF1 and WoW is often bottlenecked by single thread speed.

Check the 970 GPU usage using afterburner and if its not 95%+ (may also be worth looking at individual CPU core usage) then you could try pushing your CPU overclock a bit further. You may be able to do 4.5 or more depending on your cooling setup.

Associate
Your CPU is fine, push it to 4.2-4.4ghz, run some synthetic benches other games compare them to results different portals got online while revieving 970.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys - I've had my i5 for over 5 years! It's been a brilliant chip but I think it may perhaps be time for a new motherboard, ram, cpu setup. Any recommendations around the £300 mark?

It's weird as my setup spanks the likes of Doom but if I'm honest it also then struggles with total war Warhammer and other more modern titles.

Glad I'm not going insane though

Caporegime
its to do with the i5.

can confirm i play with someone every day on bf with same cpu and me and him have exactly the same gpu.

yesterday while playing we were both on same 64 man operations map i said get fraps do a 60 second min max avg benchmark while playing now . i will do the same.

we both used the same settings same card.

mine benchmarks were

min max avg
157, 202, 182.983

his has a min of 30 fps . mine is a i7 5820k @4.6
his is a 2500k @4.0

if you look on battlefield 1 forums you will see many with i5s have this. its either a bug or that battlefield 1 uses the extra cores horse power of the cpu.

so there maybe a patch to help but if you going to be playing it a lot i would upgrade your cpu.

Soldato
In BF1 i just turned off the gimped DX12 and v sync and i get 92% and up usage on my GPU.

Cpu does take a hammering though, However i usually get around 60-80fps on ultra 1080p in multiplayer.

Soldato
Good time to sell up. I got £120 for my 2600k a few months ago and more for my Gigabyte 1155 motherboard than I bought it for new (1155 motherboards are like gold dust) ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Good time to sell up. I got £120 for my 2600k a few months ago and more for my Gigabyte 1155 motherboard than I bought it for new (1155 motherboards are like gold dust) ;)

Assuming then that no 1155 chip is worth upgrading to? A full board, ram and cpu upgrade is like £450 for a decent bundle on ocuk

Associate
In BF1 i just turned off the gimped DX12 and v sync and i get 92% and up usage on my GPU.

Cpu does take a hammering though, However i usually get around 60-80fps on ultra 1080p in multiplayer.

exactly my point, for 1080p there is no need to change cpu for year or two.

Caporegime
exactly my point, for 1080p there is no need to change cpu for year or two.

unless you have a i5 and play bf mp.

30 fps on i5 in big intense battles isnt exceptable and many play the game or its even the only game people play.will be for a few years.

so it is worth the upgrade for those people who want to play with no drops.

thats at 1080.

Back
Top Bottom