Reliability index by car manufacturer

Soldato
The Average of all cars is 100 which means that if the figure for the car you are looking at has a higher than average index (118) it indicates that that car is less reliable than the average,

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

Nice to see Ford at 7th place with a reliability index score of 75 :)
Even better the ford focus reliability index score is 56 :):):)

LOL my last car which was an RX8 only had a score of 139 (Wonder why :D )

Last edited:
Soldato
surprised to see bmw ranking worse than skoda, given i've seen plenty of electrical gremlins on them (for example my old one used to eat the right brakelight once a month, chewed a set of drop links on the rear every 2 years and sometimes when you opened the drivers side window the passenger side would open instead).

although i suppose that might be due to the cost of repairs, given daihatsu is at the top, plus its warrenty repairs too which one would assume is going to mainly be newer cars and the pickyness of the owner (ie i never bothered fixing some of the skoda's gremlins because it just wasnt worth it)

Soldato
German cars are not as reliable as they like people to think they are.

Daihatsu don't really have anything on them to break. That and their typical owners probably wouldn't even notice if something was wrong :D

Though there are a lot of cars missing from the list, so not sure how good a representation it is. E.g. Suburu only has 2 models listed, neither are the most popular.

Last edited:
Soldato
Be interesting to see what it's actually based on, i guess someone like warranty direct and how much they pay out on repairs?

That list is pretty much exactly as you'd expect, Japanese stuff up at the top and German and English down at the bottom :D

Suspended
It can be a very subjective topic. My step dad has a brand new qashqai. It has a few rattles and squeaks, he puts those down and being part and parcel of the car. I had one rattle in my 6 series and it went in to have the part replaced. Owners of certain cars are likely to be more discerning.

When you spend 200k on a Bentley, if that thing isn't completely perfect it's going back for work. If your 5k daihatsu happens to be a bit iffy...you're probably expecting it a little.

Soldato
It can be a very subjective topic. My step dad has a brand new qashqai. It has a few rattles and squeaks, he puts those down and being part and parcel of the car. I had one rattle in my 6 series and it went in to have the part replaced. Owners of certain cars are likely to be more discerning.

When you spend 200k on a Bentley, if that thing isn't completely perfect it's going back for work. If your 5k daihatsu happens to be a bit iffy...you're probably expecting it a little.

perfect summation, plus they did mention that cost of repairs is also a factor, so for example diahatsu's could be plagued with £2 fix issues, but one £500 fix for a bm would knock them just as far back.

Caporegime
If it's based on warranty claims then it'd make sense that the more complex cars are scoring worse off, more equipment and thus more to go wrong?

The reason is WD place a massive weighting on repair costs, so a Bentley which goes wrong once yet costs 8k to fix is somehow less reliable than a Daihatsu which may go wrong every other week yet cost 50p to fix each time.

Soldato
If it's based on warranty claims then it'd make sense that the more complex cars are scoring worse off, more equipment and thus more to go wrong?

And more expensive cars getting sent back for issues, for example if the ac in your £50k land rover isnt working you're sure as hell gonna send that back wheras your £5k skoda you'd probably not care

Soldato

Yes, but expensive uncomplicated cars like Audis are scoring bad. You would like to think that spending more gets you a better product. But clearly not.

You don't get any more equipment in an Audi that you do in some Toyota/Lexuses. Yet Audis are somewhat unreliable, with a number of well documented faults (including pre-mature wear on some parts, which is down to bad design). So why is that :/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom