1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relocating to Cornwall

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rotters, Oct 7, 2011.

1. moon man

Mobster

My post was a reaction to the guy who said you can only find affordabiliry in rough areas,yeh bought years after this thread started, I was a little above minimum wage agency worker at the time, I'm back to that now after been made redundant
    (after 6 wks in Spain)
    What I found was people were fighting over holes in Camborne that had been given a nice coat of am paint, ours just needed garden sorting and outbuilding doors were jammed
    But the main reason I'm here is buying a 44k semi in Yorkshire not that long ago, refreshing a little and paying off mortgage in 9 years, boom 100k cash bye bye West Yorkshire

2. Pawnless Endgame

Capodecina

Posting in here as someone (with 1 post) has necro'd this thread, but still relevant:

[​IMG]

3. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

@Pawnless Endgame

I don't get it? Are you suggesting that the Cornish are Nazis?

4. Pawnless Endgame

Capodecina

It was posted on B3ta on the day after the 2016 EU referendum.

5. 413x

Capodecina

Wish I had done it sooner too.

6. MadMossy

Soldato

How times change, he's now divorced and the ex wife got the house.

7. Kelt

Capodecina

You should post this in the Divorce thread. :p

8. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

This guy is rad, that last sentence is utterly crushing :D

9. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Despite the financial hardship, at least he can still afford to travel abroad to experience better places :)

10. Will Gill

Fruit Machine Extraordinaire

thx, it's my alt account

basically cornwall is so epic we lie and tell everyone inc & past devon that it's dire

so just to confirm, no-one ever come here, ever.

11. tres

Soldato

As much as I love Cornwall, lots of truth in this thread. Lots of lower socioeconomic types ruining many areas of many towns. A hilariously ironic hatred of emmets (holidaymakers) despite how crucial they are to the local economy. I mean, Cornwall voted to leave the EU despite gaining a HUGE amount from EU grants. Like crazy amounts!

Bleddy beauty of a place but I'm glad I moved away.

12. el_dazza

Capodecina

I lived in North Devon for 20 years and wouldn't move back until it's time to stop working. There's just so little there. People always bang on about 'how beautiful' it is and while it is lovely to visit, try living there. It's soul destroying. The town centre is charity shops, bookmakers and the odd bank (although these are moving out now - one suddenly became a Costa, shocker).

As you rightly said, that part of the world detests the tourists/emmets/grockles but they're vital. Without them, what does the south west have?

13. Sutters

Wise Guy

One thing is in Cornwall we don't have the infrastructure to handle all the people that come here, the roads are bad enough normally, but in the summer its unbearable. Doctors and schools are rammed to death and more houses are being built all the time.

14. suenstar

Hitman

I think Cornwall is a decent place to live if you want a quieter life and don't mind things taking a bit longer, I've been here (in a village near Truro) for about 15-16 years now and am pretty happy being here.

Pay is okay for what you need when you live in Cornwall, even working in the charity sector I'm happy enough with what I get paid as it's enough to fund two decent holidays a year and random spends on nice luxuries when I want.
    Got everything I need in my village; decent internet, butcher, pub, indian & chinese takeaways, chip shop, barber and a post office inside a shop.

The roads is definitely something we need to improve, but that'll never happen with our current council. Though there are worse roads in the country... and much, much worse ones in places abroad like Rome/Naples as I discovered in September.
    Can't say I've ever met a single person in Cornwall who openly hates emmets, a lot joke about it but none that I know of actually do hate them.

I'll never wrap my head around how many of the locals thought voting leave was a good idea with how much funding we get down here... especially with how bad the council treats people & services.
    I reckon it's the same with a lot of other places, people don't seem to realise how many projects and charities only function as well as they do thanks to EU funds.

15. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

I would watch the film.

16. moon man

Mobster

as regards emmets im from yorkshire and was one myself for many years ,dont meet that many Cornish daft as it sounds ,on my street well hill , theres only one ,rest are yokshire,london ,kent folk,
    I really enjoy the tourists been here i can have a day bodyboarding in polzeath and just really appreciate that i live here and they are on their holls ,that being on koliday feeling never goes ,its an awesome way to live.
    my grown up daughters wouldnt move here though ,they are too much into the london ,oxford lifestyle where they live

17. neckbeardthethird

Wise Guy

where old people go to die

18. moon man

Mobster

rather die here surfing than up country walking around b&q in my spare time

19. Sheff

Wise Guy

It depends on what you class as the south west, as Bristol does quite well economically!

The south west peninsula is going places, Exeter has an IKEA now, and one day there will be a Trago Mills in every large town. :D

20. moon man

Mobster

dont forget newquay spaceport coming dreckly also