Relocating to Cornwall

Soldato
My post was a reaction to the guy who said you can only find affordabiliry in rough areas,yeh bought years after this thread started, I was a little above minimum wage agency worker at the time, I'm back to that now after been made redundant
(after 6 wks in Spain)
What I found was people were fighting over holes in Camborne that had been given a nice coat of am paint, ours just needed garden sorting and outbuilding doors were jammed
But the main reason I'm here is buying a 44k semi in Yorkshire not that long ago, refreshing a little and paying off mortgage in 9 years, boom 100k cash bye bye West Yorkshire

Caporegime
My brother did exactly the same thing recently. Gave up a well paid job, living near Bath working all over the place and moved to a lovely Cornish town called Pensilva, absolutely loves it there and wishes he had done it sooner, kids and wife also love it equally as much.

Wish I had done it sooner too.

Caporegime
Made a huge mistake moving to Cornwall in 1990, managed to escape back to civilisation in 2002, I now live in Hertfordshire. PROS: warmer winters, people think you're living the dream.
CONS: Winters are gloomy, miserable and wet, summer days without clouds are rare. A lazy laid back attitude where outsiders are not made welcome, job situation and pay are very poor, I took a 10k pay cut to move down and it crippled me, places like Camborne, Redruth, St Columb major and St. Austell are full of chavs and are poverty stricken. Life seems 10 years behind the rest of the country, there is no get up and go, an appalling road infrastructure, getting around is hard work and the standard of driving generally appalling, getting out of cornwall during the summer is very stressful and once took me 7 hours to get to Hertfordshire. Very rough council estates, Harmony close, Murdock close, close hill in Redruth. The town centres in both Camborne and Redruth are like the land that time forgot, boarded up shops, rough pubs, charity shops and pound stores..avoid! The locals don't like any negativity regarding Cornwall, but constantly moan about there plight. House prices totally out of line with the pathetic wages, petrol expensive and second hand cars. Rotten work on offer, food processing factories such as Roach foods which are mainly a last resort for the huge influx of foreigners. High suicide rate, regular jumpers off of Trengweath bridge Redruth. Life seems to stop at about 16:30 for Cornish tea, when the rest of the country is still working. The only decent areas to live are very expensive and have very little to do. Dead in the Winter and packed with holiday makers during summer. AVOID unless you want to take a step back.in time in a bad way and have sufficient funds to keep afloat. Try visiting both Portreath and Porthtowan during summer and the winter, in Summer you won't be able to move or get parked, during winter Beirut is more appealing, empty, desolate and thoroughly depressing.
This guy is rad, that last sentence is utterly crushing :D

Soldato
thx, it's my alt account

basically cornwall is so epic we lie and tell everyone inc & past devon that it's dire

so just to confirm, no-one ever come here, ever.

As much as I love Cornwall, lots of truth in this thread. Lots of lower socioeconomic types ruining many areas of many towns. A hilariously ironic hatred of emmets (holidaymakers) despite how crucial they are to the local economy. I mean, Cornwall voted to leave the EU despite gaining a HUGE amount from EU grants. Like crazy amounts!

Bleddy beauty of a place but I'm glad I moved away.

Soldato
As much as I love Cornwall, lots of truth in this thread. Lots of lower socioeconomic types ruining many areas of many towns. A hilariously ironic hatred of emmets (holidaymakers) despite how crucial they are to the local economy. I mean, Cornwall voted to leave the EU despite gaining a HUGE amount from EU grants. Like crazy amounts!

I lived in North Devon for 20 years and wouldn't move back until it's time to stop working. There's just so little there. People always bang on about 'how beautiful' it is and while it is lovely to visit, try living there. It's soul destroying. The town centre is charity shops, bookmakers and the odd bank (although these are moving out now - one suddenly became a Costa, shocker).

As you rightly said, that part of the world detests the tourists/emmets/grockles but they're vital. Without them, what does the south west have?

Associate
One thing is in Cornwall we don't have the infrastructure to handle all the people that come here, the roads are bad enough normally, but in the summer its unbearable. Doctors and schools are rammed to death and more houses are being built all the time.

Associate
I think Cornwall is a decent place to live if you want a quieter life and don't mind things taking a bit longer, I've been here (in a village near Truro) for about 15-16 years now and am pretty happy being here.

Pay is okay for what you need when you live in Cornwall, even working in the charity sector I'm happy enough with what I get paid as it's enough to fund two decent holidays a year and random spends on nice luxuries when I want.
Got everything I need in my village; decent internet, butcher, pub, indian & chinese takeaways, chip shop, barber and a post office inside a shop.

The roads is definitely something we need to improve, but that'll never happen with our current council. Though there are worse roads in the country... and much, much worse ones in places abroad like Rome/Naples as I discovered in September.

Can't say I've ever met a single person in Cornwall who openly hates emmets, a lot joke about it but none that I know of actually do hate them.

I'll never wrap my head around how many of the locals thought voting leave was a good idea with how much funding we get down here... especially with how bad the council treats people & services.
I reckon it's the same with a lot of other places, people don't seem to realise how many projects and charities only function as well as they do thanks to EU funds.

Soldato
as regards emmets im from yorkshire and was one myself for many years ,dont meet that many Cornish daft as it sounds ,on my street well hill , theres only one ,rest are yokshire,london ,kent folk,
I really enjoy the tourists been here i can have a day bodyboarding in polzeath and just really appreciate that i live here and they are on their holls ,that being on koliday feeling never goes ,its an awesome way to live.
my grown up daughters wouldnt move here though ,they are too much into the london ,oxford lifestyle where they live

Associate
I lived in North Devon for 20 years and wouldn't move back until it's time to stop working. There's just so little there. People always bang on about 'how beautiful' it is and while it is lovely to visit, try living there. It's soul destroying. The town centre is charity shops, bookmakers and the odd bank (although these are moving out now - one suddenly became a Costa, shocker).

As you rightly said, that part of the world detests the tourists/emmets/grockles but they're vital. Without them, what does the south west have?

It depends on what you class as the south west, as Bristol does quite well economically!

The south west peninsula is going places, Exeter has an IKEA now, and one day there will be a Trago Mills in every large town. :D

Back
Top Bottom