Remap options

Soldato
Depending on how its done but usually yes, the manufacturer would be able to tell if the ECU has been flashed - often even if you have it flashed back again too.

Soldato
There is a flash counter that your remap will trigger - whether the dealer would bother to routinely check or not is a different matter (Skoda never).

Some definitely do, BMW seem to be on to it

Soldato
Don't bother what's the point in risking your warranty? They can tell and are aware lots of people do it nowadays thats why they check when things prematurely break.
Car Forums are full of owners who like to advise that plug in jobs like bluefins etc cannot be traced but they can. There's a guy on PH who mapped his Audi which then broke the gearbox through extra stress and they are refusing to cover the 10k bill after they realised he had mapped it.
If your not happy with the power you should have bought something faster in the first place!

Associate
OP
Am happy with the power was just tinkering with the idea but now now that is a dead end not gonna risk it
Thanks for your help guys

Soldato
I think it really depends on the car, i had a remap on my Subaru and it was fantastic. If done properly they're amazing, i did trackdays and all and never had an issue but those cars are built to take a lot of abuse which i imagine a run of the mill Astra probably isn't.

They can really liven a car up and make it more fun but be prepared that you are putting more stress on components so you can be more likely to break stuff so you need to go in with your eyes open.

Soldato
Depends on the vehicle also, some cars have different maps from the factory with the same components, mapping these to get it to the more premium bhp figure will cause no issues with the exception of warranty if you still have dealer.

Soldato
A remap doesn't always need to be for more horse power. You can improve the power curve which can make a huge difference, probably a bigger one that just adding more power.

Soldato
I've remapped most of my turbocharged motors. Even on my 335d, within a week of getting it, no doubt voiding the warranty on that one. But it was sooooooooo worth it.

Even my lowly Seat Alhambra kid carrier has had a cheeky remap to get extra overtaking points. But on almost every car I've done it to, I have had to change the clutch, and at the same time done the flywheel. But these cars are mostly at 80k+ when I do it (the 335d being an auto didn't need this). Usually changing the clutch for a standard new item though, rarely upgrading them. My Edition 30 will get a remap, but only after doing the clutch first this time. And that will get uprated.

If it's a brand new motor, I'd probably be less likely to do it. Although I would have done it to my 530d if there had been the option to do it.

Modern tuning boxes are meant to be quite good now, so it may be worth looking into them. They aren't a proper remap, so aren't going to be as good, but because of this, they don't trigger the counter for map changes, and can be removed without trace, so the manufacturer need never know.

I guess a lot of it comes down to how willing you are to accept risk for a faster car. Once the car is out of warranty, I'd do it personally. And sometimes whilst in warranty. But then I like a faster motor.

Associate
OP
Thanks for comments gonna stick to stock and use the sport button a bit more makes a big difference I think it adjusts the throttle to make it now pokier

Associate
even ignoring the warranty issue - why did you go for the 1.4 if you now think it isn't quick enough? Was it for the small engine and cheap insurance? if so, then wouldn't any remap nuke any cheap insurance, due to it now being mod'd?

Soldato
At least for that car it's cheap to remap.
Just found out to get the MPS remapped i need to drop $450 on a cable and software and then pay someone to etune it... Wow

Soldato
Some Vauxhall engines of recent years have been known to break pistons and throw rods when tuned, so it's a risk without physical upgrades. They only seem to engineer them to handle stock power these days, with little overhead. Not sure I'd trust those plug-in things.

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
At least for that car it's cheap to remap.
Just found out to get the MPS remapped i need to drop $450 on a cable and software and then pay someone to etune it... Wow

Did you run into MPS ownership blind other to how it looks?
You are prepared for the upkeep, maintenance and running costs of course?

The 2 common options:
Cobb
This is not locked to car, so can sell and use on another vehicle.
Cobb V3 and cable will allow you to flash the maps but you will need to create them on a PC.
there are OTS maps available but they're not the best.

Unfortunately Cobb have recently removed the AccessTunerRace Free software that was available to allow you to map the car yourself.
If you have a copy of this already it will work, but is tied to the specific platform (one initially for a 3MPS wont work on a 6mps)
Without this you are tied to their "Approved tuners" and pretty much all of them are US based.

Versatuner typically has a lesser cost than Cobb and extra software, is locked to vehicle and VIN so cant be sold on.
With this you can map til your hearts content, you don't NEED the official Versa cable, others are compatible, this is advertised on their website.
You will need a Windows Laptop or a Tablet with a USB port, there might even be someone near you that you could loan the cable from

The most preferred tuner in the UK is DJJUT (Justin) over on the MPSOC and he's mapped pretty much all of the community MPS's
Other companies do advertise that they map these, there's even a few on eBay advertising it.
TotalPMS, BBR and ECUTek all "think" they can map them but there have been some horror stories.
They'll be cheaper than tuning properly but use them at your own risk.

As Nasher above does mention, be aware if mapped incorrectly it may cause issue

Sorry for slight derail :p

As above OP if yer not lookign at keeping the car at long term I'd not bother.
Even more so on a car that may not respond as well to remaps as other.
Saying that I'm unaware of how these respond an my little bro has a knackered old astra Runnign almost 550bhp (supporting mode needed lol)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Don't get me wrong the car is a lot quicker than my golf tdi 1.6 diesel mate friend who maps his cars suggested I should do it but after reading these valuable replies I'm happy with stock

Associate
OP
Just out of curiosity friends have mentioned problems with the m32 gearbox does anyone know if this has that gearbox or is it different

Soldato
Did you run into MPS ownership blind other to how it looks?
You are prepared for the upkeep, maintenance and running costs of course?

The 2 common options:
Cobb
This is not locked to car, so can sell and use on another vehicle.
Cobb V3 and cable will allow you to flash the maps but you will need to create them on a PC.
there are OTS maps available but they're not the best.

Unfortunately Cobb have recently removed the AccessTunerRace Free software that was available to allow you to map the car yourself.
If you have a copy of this already it will work, but is tied to the specific platform (one initially for a 3MPS wont work on a 6mps)
Without this you are tied to their "Approved tuners" and pretty much all of them are US based.

Versatuner typically has a lesser cost than Cobb and extra software, is locked to vehicle and VIN so cant be sold on.
With this you can map til your hearts content, you don't NEED the official Versa cable, others are compatible, this is advertised on their website.
You will need a Windows Laptop or a Tablet with a USB port, there might even be someone near you that you could loan the cable from

The most preferred tuner in the UK is DJJUT (Justin) over on the MPSOC and he's mapped pretty much all of the community MPS's
Other companies do advertise that they map these, there's even a few on eBay advertising it.
TotalPMS, BBR and ECUTek all "think" they can map them but there have been some horror stories.
They'll be cheaper than tuning properly but use them at your own risk.

As Nasher above does mention, be aware if mapped incorrectly it may cause issue

Sorry for slight derail :p

As above OP if yer not lookign at keeping the car at long term I'd not bother.
Even more so on a car that may not respond as well to remaps as other.
Saying that I'm unaware of how these respond an my little bro has a knackered old astra Runnign almost 550bhp (supporting mode needed lol)

been reading up about it a lot.

More annoying is that it needs a HPFP mod before anything can be done. I seem to be gaining a shopping list :D

Back
Top Bottom