Remote/Cloud gaming over Android tablet?

Soldato
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE 5G. Till recently it was used mostly for browsing internet, watching YT, and the odd mobile game.
I've recently started making use of it for work in Dex mode with a BT keyboard and mouse and so far have found it very convenient with the mobile connectivity without having to mess about with hotspots and wifi, and reletively painless user experience, I guess it works kinda like a chromebook?

I've been curious recently about remote gaming from my PC at home or one of the cloud gaming services.
Has anyone used one of these tablets or any Android tablet to do this? What was your experience? Gimmick or actually a playable experience?
Dont want to go wasting money on any service subs if its just not a viable solution.

I'm going to be spending a bit of time away in the near/mid term future, would be nice to have the option to play some of my games whilst away. I have an order in for a SteamDeck (Aug/Sept?). However, I'm kinda going cold on the thought of one, and was toying with the thought of cancelling and just buying a smaller sized gaming laptop.
However, the remote play/cloud gaming thing got me thinking. Also What are these services like when travelling overseas (Mainly Europe but also US/Canada)?

Soldato
I have the S5e and I use Parsec to remote to my home PC but I've also tried the free version of GeForce Now. Using both mouse + keyboard and a Dualsense controller it works very well on both. Latency will be the main issue but as long as your connection is stable it'll still at playable levels. I much prefer remoting to my home PC though as it's free and I have full access to my game library as well as my desktop, so it ends up feeling like I'm running Windows on the tablet. While I do use Parsec, there are other alternatives such as Steam Link, Rainway, and if you have an Nvidia GPU with GeForce Experience installed, Moonlight.

I haven't tested it abroad, only in other towns in the UK, but I would imagine cloud gaming services will be better in this case latency wise.

Associate
I use my tab s7 fe WiFi for cloud gaming, Xbox cloud gaming, for some gaming now and then. I paired it with a ps4 controller and it works well. The latency is a lot higher when compared with Ethernet on my PC, not enough to be noticeable imo

Currently playing Gears of War...

Soldato
OP
Cheers for your input guys.

Well thats certainly an interesting experience, I tried the Geforce Now Free account, other than having to wait in line for a free machine its a relatively simple process. The performance whilst not amazing, is more than acceptable. Input lag certainly is noticeable at times, enough so that you'd be at a disadvantage playing competitively online. Its easily comfortable enough for some casual gaming though.
Also gave the Steam play remote option a bit finicky to control through menus but reasonably smooth experience when playing. Again input lag is noticeable however thats a common inescapable attribute it seems.

I think i'm being won over by the Cloud gaming solution. The remote play option does seem to have its benefits (cheaper for a start...). The Cloud gaming options mean I dont have to worry about ensuring my system if up and running when I'm away. Obviously will restrict me to needing a decent stable connection to play. However, this shouldnt be too much an issue. I'm not the type to play whilst on the move, too many distractions. This is more for when I have downtime when I'm away. As for price I can pay per month when I'm away and cancel when I'm at home.

Still very keen to hear from people who have tried it over mobile connection and when out of country?

Associate
I want to like this, but cloud gaming is still not at an acceptable point for me... at least considering my circumstances. Even with BT Fibre (max 65mbps though), having a household that is constantly online using at least 4 devices streaming, the moment I try gaming, all other devices just start lagging. And if you have kids who have never experienced dial-up... lag is like kryptonite to them LOL

Soldato
OP
Just a follow up to this. I just spent a week away with work and had a few sessions using GeForce Now over a mediocre (At best) Wifi connection using a the tablet with BT Keyboard/mouse. Actually had a very "acceptable" experience. Granted that I still havnt really given Mobile connection a try I'm actually quite happy with my decision to cancel the steamdeck. The screensize itself is a huge bonus.

Back
Top Bottom