Remote desktop over a local network (and not over the internet)

Soldato
Hello

I want a powerful desktop machine for computational work. The only space for this is the spare bedroom. But I don't want to be stuck in the spare bedroom for hours working away.

I want to work in the living room, whilst watching TV, sitting on the sofa etc. Can I remotely connect to the computer in the spare bedroom, and control it from a laptop in the living room without using the internet (and only using the local area network)? I want full GUI access from the laptop. I want the laptop to be the monitor for the PC.

Can this happen using WiFi only?

Thank you :)

Soldato
OP
How do you do it? When I want to remote into a computer from the internet I need to create a VPN and then use remote desktop to access the computer remotely.

Do I still need a VPN if I'm remotely connecting to a computer on my LAN?

Man of Honour
If the OS is a version that has the RDP server built in (usually only the high end versions these days) then you just need to enable it then use a RDP client (windows has a viewer built in in most version mstsc.exe) and then either connect via the machine name on the LAN or its LAN IP.

Or otherwise you could look at using something like VNC, teamviewer, etc.

Associate
If the OS is a version that has the RDP server built in (usually only the high end versions these days) then you just need to enable it then use a RDP client (windows has a viewer built in in most version mstsc.exe) and then either connect via the machine name on the LAN or its LAN IP.

Or otherwise you could look at using something like VNC, teamviewer, etc.

spot on with what this guy says, if you doiung anythign graphical it can be a pitta!

Associate
Good point about the licencing.. you need the professional version (or above) of Windows 7.

Just use MSTSC.exe /admin xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (the /admin switch gives you console level access. Replace xxx with the machines IP address)

To access it from the internet, you can either forward the port 3389 on your router to the ip address of the machine. A VPN would probably be the safer solution though

Soldato
OP
I need a way of doing this which doesn't use the internet. I.e. I don't want to traverse the length of the internet just to connect to my PC in the other room.

Is there a WiFi or LAN only option?

Soldato
From Teamviewers website:

Can TeamViewer be used within a local network (LAN) only?

You can establish Remote control sessions on your local network directly by using IP addresses or computer names. By default this feature is deactivated because software firewalls may open an acceptance dialog when configured this way.

To activate the LAN mode in TeamViewer full version and Host module:

In the menu click on Extras and then on Options
On the General tab activate Accept incoming LAN connections

When selecting accept exclusively it will display the IP-address of the computer in the ID-field.

A connection can now be established using the IP-address or alternatively using the host name.

This shouldn't require internet communication. This may require a paid version of TV though.

Don
What version of Windows will it have?

If it's it's a Pro or above version, then it will have remote desktop built in.

Free and simple.

Once you enable Remote Desktop on the new machine (let's call it the host), on any other laptop/pc on the same network, you just open a run box (Winkey + R) type in mstsc hit enter.

Now type in the computername of the host, enter the Windows username/password for that machine and you'll be connected.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What version of Windows will it have?

If it's it's a Pro or above version, then it will have remote desktop built in.

Free and simple.

Once you enable Remote Desktop on the new machine (let's call it the host), on any other laptop/pc on the same network, you just open a run box (Winkey + R) type in mstsc hit enter.

Now type in the computername of the host, enter the Windows username/password for that machine and you'll be connected.

I haven't yet built the computer. I can buy Windows 7 or 8 Professional and put that on if Remote Desktop will do what I want. I will remote into the machine from a Macbook Pro Mavericks OS. I can download the Windows Remote Desktop app on Mavericks (I've used it and it's very good).

Man of Honour
Aslong as they are both on the same LAN (plugged into the same switch/router) and can see each other on the LAN you can just enter either the machine name or the LAN IP (usually something like 192.168.1.45, etc.) in the viewer and it will connect to that machine without going via the internet at all.

Last edited:
Associate
If you're using it from a Macbook, you may need to disable the requirement for Network Level Authentication, apart from that you're good to go.

To disable NLA, just go to your System Properties > Remote

nlasshot.png

Untick the box that says "Only allow connections from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication"

Back
Top Bottom