Remote work, who's done it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I guess it depends on your character. I've been working from home 99% of the time since last May. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, in fact I quite enjoy not having to talk to anyone face to face most of the time (social anxiety). I do have to talk via skype on the headset quite a lot but for some weird reason I'm fine with that.

When I'm not on calls however, stick on some music, head down and code code code :)

I make sure I get my hour break at lunch times, go out for a walk etc. and all is good :)

Soldato
I love it, I get more done in 5 hours at home than 8 hours in the office.

No distractions, no stupid conversations, to one ranting, no talk about running...

Stick films on and work away

Soldato
I love it, I get more done in 5 hours at home than 8 hours in the office.

No distractions, no stupid conversations, to one ranting, no talk about running...

Stick films on and work away

This.

It's important you keep active though, go for walks, do exercise - as someone said earlier on in the thread, the weight will creep on then bam - you're a chungus! I put on 2 stone in a fairly short space of time without even realising it.

It takes a bit of getting used to but I won't ever go back to an office again, I love being in total control of my day and not wasting anywhere between an hour to 4 hours of my day which was an issue on previous jobs.

Soldato
Well the thing to do, if you have some sort of office communicator type app, is to make sure that it is always showing as "green" and turn the sound on + volume up unless you're going to be away from the desk for an extended period of time in which case you update your status to say "[time of message] Out for dental appointment, should be back by [estimated time]" etc..

Also achieved by wiggling the mouse every now and then whilst watching tv :D

Soldato
I work from home a lot (recently it has been go into the office maybe a couple of half-days a week). None of the people I work with work in my office so talking to them on conference calls is how I would be communicating with them if I was there so there is no difference being at home. In fact we quite often spin up our own call and sit on it most of the day so we can communicate as if we were sitting by each other (dropping off and rejoining if we need to go to other calls).

I find that on the upside I get more done at home. I can manage my time and environment better. I find it good to have the TV on in the background so the house isn't entirely silent but its in the next room with the door open and I have my back to it so it isn't distracting.

But there are downsides. If you live on your own it can be very isolating as you are not seeing anyone face to face. You also have to be careful about your days not being stretched by not having a set finishing time to go and catch a train or whatever. There are times when my day ends up a couple of hours longer than it would have been if I was in the office.

Soldato
Been working from home now for about a year. It started off being quite a nice novelty with all the benefits mentioned already. Then I started getting a bit lonely and only seeing my partner in the morning before she went to work and when she came back. My role is going through changes and for the past month I go round visiting sites about 4 mornings a week then spend the rest at home. Much prefer it this way and I'm also speaking to a lot more people and can see improvements in my confidence.
Another perk is that my boss puts me on courses and I find I'm using a lot of work time to study which is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom