Remove AM4 plastic socket from motherboard? (got thermal paste into it)

Associate
Hi guys. Had a bit of a disaster last night. I was going to swap my new CPU in (3700x replacing 3600) but when I removed the old CPU some surplus paste which had been on the side of the CPU somehow fell down onto the pin holes of the motherboard below.

I've done my best to clean it but it seems pretty much impossible?

I googled to try to find instructions about how to remove the plastic hole grid thingy (the part that floats to lock/unlock the CPU in the socket when you move the lever arm), as it would then be much easier to clean it, but I couldn't find anything except this video

ryzen am4 socket repair The broken pin must be restored with a ball pen ( amd ryzen am4 腳座維修) - YouTube (around the 47sec mark)

Problem is I don't understand what the guy actually did - seems he just inserted the screwdriver in those three holes then somehow the socket came loose??

I tried doing that and pushing outwards slightly and all I did was snap off part of the plastic :( :(

Reaching out for help here as I'm at a loss about what to do now. Motherboard is an MSI B450M Mortar Max if that makes any difference.

Associate
Have not done this myself but you could try searching on eBay sellers (I just did a search and found a few promising listings) and ask the sellers who might be able to help or provide another source. Alternatively just order the part and have a look at where the clips are so you can just locate where to pry

Associate
You can get a full socket off ebay for £7, once you get the replacement its easier to separate them when they aint soldered to the board just order 2 so you get a touch of practice. The plastic they are made out of is incredibly brittle.

Or you can try Ipa it will dissolve thermal paste quite well, pour some in to a container dip the pins of your cpu in it then insert in to socket lock and unlock the cpu lever a few times remove then dip in ipa repeat a few times leave to dry for a hour, that will clean the contacts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom