Removing a Chimney Breast - Structural Engineer AND Measured Survey?

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Hi

I have a bit of a weird setup where the previous owner of my ground floor maisonette knocked the kitchen and dining room together but left the chimney breast in the middle of the room! (As this is supporting the fireplace in the same place maisonette above me and the chimney stack up to the roof). Obviously I need steels putting in (probably 2).

Now I know this can be removed, and I am speaking to 2 structural engineers:

One has insisted that I have a measured survey performed first (Of my flat, upstairs, and the roof) which would be performed by a separate architect/ surveyor, whereas the other seems to include any measurement as part of their works and thinks this is not needed.

Is this normally required for this kind of work?

It seems like the surveyor who is NOT saying I need this is looking to charge me around £1000 inc VAT for a survey and drawings/ calculations for steels. They will almost certainly need to drill inspection holes in the walls/ ceilings and probably lift the floor in case some kind of footing is needed there too. This will cost extra I believe. Does this sound reasonable in terms of costs for London?

The room is about 4x4m by the way. Circa 1900 construction. Neighbours to one side and above me.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom