Removing polish/wax from rubber and plastic trim?

Soldato
Ever since I bought my car there has been polish/wax on the black plastic and rubber trim pieces like window seals and washer jets. I tried 'back to black' type products but these simply mask the problem and within a week the white/grey marks from the polish are back.

Is there any effective way to remove this?:confused:

Man of Honour
I was just going to post a thread very like this. I must give the WD40 a try.

Can anyone recommend a method for getting polish/wax residue out of panel gaps and other such crevices where it has dried hard? It seems almost impossible to remove and looks awful.

Man of Honour
Ahh, good call. Do you wet them with water or anything else? Some of this stuff has been dried on for months and even hard scrubbing with a microfiber only shifts some of it.

Associate
Whats the tescos stuff like? I used to use muc off however its not as good as APC. The megs stuff is 12 squid for a 4 litre bottle that can be watered down 10:1. I rate it pretty highly.

How much do you get from tescos for 79p, will it water down and work OK, is it designed for cars (ie no salt etc)?

Cheers

Dave

Soldato
OP
I just had a thought. Is it ok for WD40 to get on paint? Ofcourse I would clean it off soon after if it did but I am wondering if it will do any damage.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;12083676 said:
Meguiars APC is a con. Tesco APC costs 79p.

1.5L for 65p now :)

Tesco/Daisy APC is actually very good, and can be used on all manner of things. A scrub on plasitc trim with this, and then finish of with some WD40 brings up black plastic well.

Having said that, the glossy 'new' look of WD40 doesn't last very long. I beleive products like Black Wow and AutoGlym Bumber Care last longer though.

Soldato
if using wd40 i'd make sure to tape up any paintwork surrounding the areas as it strips everything

an unusual method that's very popular on detailing world is smooth peanut butter :D

Back
Top Bottom