Removing thermal grease from a Barton?

Associate
I have an XP 3200+ socket A CPU, and I wandered what's the safe way to remove the leftover thermal paste that's left on when you remove the heat sink? A cotton bud?

There's not any on the processor core, just some around the outside of the core on the die.

I had a look on the AMD site but there's only instructions on removing grease from the newer CPU's that have the IHS.

TIA, dagwoood.

Soldato
I've always used cotton buds dipped in acetone (available from most chemists). Seems to do the job without leaving any mess. Was warned against using some of the non alcohol based solvents containing citrus extract :confused:

Associate
benjo said:
I used a cloth and some ouzo :p
LOL
I hope thats true.

For me i used some kitchen roll/cotton buds + some lighter fluid. Then a close inspection for any bits of fluff left on. For getting it off the HS i used a can of lighter gas after wiping most of it off as above. Bit chilly on the fingers, but blasts most of the crap off the HS.

Soldato
many people say to use a lint free cloth due to cotton buds and the like tend to leave very small fibres behind, a usefull tip if you work in an office is to order some lint free cloth from the Banner catalogue and its free if you hold the account for office supplies :D

Soldato
any cloth plus nail polish remover. been doing it since my barton was new. it still sits at 2.5g and is perfect. some people take it too seriously lol

Soldato
I've always used industrial paint strippers that come in 5gal drums to do mine :cool:. This lovely stuff is applied with morrisons kitchen roll. Has always worked fine for me.

The moral is ... they're made of pretty sturn stuff.

Lan

Lan

Associate
yeh ive heard a lot about this lint-free crap and its probs best not to use cotton buds but i still do except i soak mine in tim-clean or isopropanol (i think thts how its spelt) and apply the spirit and wipe of with a cloth

EDIT: works fine

Soldato
lol, might have to trial these myself next time i need to. i mostly find if i use a plain cloth it seems to spread it more before removing it :(

Back
Top Bottom