Removing Thunderflies from your monitor screen

Soldato
I had this happen with a monitor of mine a couple of years ago. Tried the following :

1)monitor in a dark room with a light above it to entice him out
2)suction cup
3)rigorous monitor shaking

None of them worked.

It was tiny, but its one of those things that once you know its there.....you can keep your eyes off it.

I opted to replace my monitor.

Soldato
Do they get inbetween the panel and backlight?

I work with Dell laptops majority of hte time, and occasionally a thunderfly is reported as an issue.....and amazingly this is supported under business warranty (I was absolutely stunned to find this out)

The LCD panel is one sealed unit (certainly on Dell's , and I wouldnt be surprised if it isnt on others also) with only the bezel covering the edges. Which means they must be sealed in from the get go during manufacturing. As to why they suddenly appear got no idea

(I cant see them getting through the sticky tape all around the lcd / backlight)

Associate
"sealed" is not airtight sealed. Its mainly just to prevent dust ingress. And there are still sub-mm gaps, e.g. around the metal frame or where the signal cables go in. That's enough for thunderflies to get in - they just keep travelling on flat surface or along the wire and will squeeze into any tiny gap which warmer/has some light inside.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Update: It seems to have moved to the middle of the screen and either decided that is the comfiest spot or it's dead.

I haven't squished it so I know it's not stuck there, but it aint moving. :/

Soldato
Got a little ******* travelling down the middle my screen at the minute

Pain in the ass, aren't they? In my experience, it seems to have got better over time but even my latest TV has them in it! I think desktop monitors are worse because you're that much closer to them, you notice it more.

Can't really offer you any advice other than; as soon as you spot a "mover," turn the screen off and hope for the best. It';s helped me out a lot in the past :)

Soldato
Thrips, thunderbugs, whatever they're called... I had three crawl into and die inside my Iiyama monitor. They're about the size of this comma --> , and look like dead pixel clusters until they move.
Suction cups, tapping and torches did nothing to shift them. I couldn't see how to disassemble the monitor beyond getting the bezel off, either, so not wanting to risk my only screen, I had to live with the three of them right in the middle of the screen until I upgraded. :(

Hoping to hell I don't get any more, as I've a proper expensive screen, now!!

Soldato
What is this freak fly you guys have in the UK that goes inside your monitor? I have never heard of such a thing. Here in Canada our flies are polite, just like our people. Any time a fly comes into your house it flies around saying "Sorry. So sorry. really I apologize." until it can find an exit.

Thripps or thunderbugs. They are attracted to the blue wavelengths of light that LED monitors and TVs tend to throw out.

Associate
Decomposition requires bacteria - and bacteria need water. There's not really much water inside of the TV :D The bug's carapace takes a while to decompose even in humid environment. Don't expect one to decompose inside of a TV anytime soon.
i had the same issue on y benq monitor a few years ago, it was right in the middle of the screen, i then stupidly sqaushed it with my thumb while it was behind thescreen, anyways after about 6 months the thunder fly's body deteriorated and just disappeared.

Best thing to avoid thunder flies are:

make sure window is closed as night while monitor is in use
if you spot the bug crawling around dont kill it dont squish it, let it be, eventually it will die hopefully somewhere else
a few strips of double sided tape works great when stuck on the edges where the heat vents are, thats where they get in

Caporegime
I'm contemplating asking a local computer repair replace to take it apart and remove it.

Do you guys think it will eventually disappear through deterioration?

It seems stuck in the middle somehow.

Benq support suggested leaving it until it dries out and then tapping the screen so it falls, it's ******* me off.

Soldato
Leave it for for a couple of days, I've had some get stuck before most just drop to the bottom after waiting if not just tap, they almost disintegrate if left long enough.

Caporegime
None of that ever worked on mine... If you can get it opened up by someone who knows what they're doing, I'd say do that.

I find myself being skeptical that it will just dry out and drop to the bottom or decompose.

Nowhere local seems to do monitor repairs.

I was thinking of removing it and doing it myself, but from looking around a various tear downs of LCD screens I really don't think I will bother with that at all, as I think the bug is between the screen and the LCD panel itself so a real headache.

Last edited:
Associate
I had one in a Dell monitor (less than a year old) a while ago. I had bought it from Amazon and they agreed that insects should not be able to get in there and shipped me a new one out! Worth trying if your monitor is still under warranty.

Associate
mate ive had one crawl in my monitor for the past 1 hour, now its disappeared, ive also got masking tape all around the edges and 2 stuck on the tape, cant leave the window closed in this heat, damn

D3K

D3K

Soldato
OP
I had one in a Dell monitor (less than a year old) a while ago. I had bought it from Amazon and they agreed that insects should not be able to get in there and shipped me a new one out! Worth trying if your monitor is still under warranty.
Good job by Amazon staff. I agree, and it's why I'll claim dead pixels if I ever can't get rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom