Renault Clio Sport 172 & 172 cup

Associate
i have been looking at both these cars. why do the sport 172 cost less? they both put out the same amount and people pay 2k more for a cup version. may not have the full story. just wondering!

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Of the same age are you sure? You can get a Cup for around £6000-6500 on a 02/52/03 plate, can you really get a Full Fat 172 much cheaper?

Soldato
MaXXeH said:
i have been looking at both these cars. why do the sport 172 cost less? they both put out the same amount and people pay 2k more for a cup version. may not have the full story. just wondering!

The cups do hold their value better due to them being more limited, but I have no idea where you are getting a 2k difference from!

Soldato
Its the otherway around. The cup is cheaper with less options. I am looking at the 172 as the cup does not have as many comforts to the interior such as alcatara seats and climate control. Big problem for me is that the cup does not have ABS, does have speedline turinis which is a positive :)

Associate
The Cup is a special edition & also a driver orientated car, the compromise on weight & track use means many cannot live with it day-to-day. No 'true-Cup' has replaced the original. All this has created a market for enthusiasts, a sellers market.

The 'full-fat' models cater for a wider range of people & also offers many different choices of colours. The 182 has replaced the 172 & the soon to be release mk3 RS shall replaced that. All this has created a market for haggling, a buyers market.

Combine this with third-party/importers offering crazy discounts on there 'full-fat' models & you can see why there's a noticable difference even though the Cup cost £3k less (retail) at launch.

Soldato
Adam said:
Its the otherway around. The cup is cheaper with less options. I am looking at the 172 as the cup does not have as many comforts to the interior such as alcatara seats and climate control. Big problem for me is that the cup does not have ABS, does have speedline turinis which is a positive :)

Like coco mentions above, the cup is aimed more at the 'enthusiast' market, those who may want to use them for track days etc and aren't bothered about the creature comforts.

You can also brag that it's about a 1/10th of a second than the 'full fat' version as it's known.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I've found them to be about the same price, with the cups just nudging it most of the time, as they are more sought over and not so many of them about.

Just from the front page of for sales on cliosport..

03 Plate Cup, 26700 miles, £6800
02 Plate full fat, 63k, 6200 (too pricey imho although has had new engine due to cambelt snap)
52 Plate full fat, 28k on the clock, 6995
52 plate cup, 20k on the clock, 7k

Soldato
If you guys who own the Mk1 172's don't mind me asking, what sort of prices are you paying for insurance?

I'm looking at the Mk1 172 with a view to a future purchase in September'ish time, I'm currently 20 yrs old and living in a low risk area.
I'll have 2 years ncb at the beginning of March and still be 20 in September.

Cheers,

Neil.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Not really much help as I'm an oldie now :(

But for some kinda reference I was paying a grand tpft on a 19 16v@20, the Clio costs about the same relatively speaking (the only increase when my 19 was killed was due to upgrading to fully comp).

This year itll be about 450-500 fc with protected ncb.

Back
Top Bottom