Rent arrears interest calculation?

Associate
I want some confirmation of this, and mainly around the maths:
The Tenancy Agreement states:

"If you owe rent you must pay under the agreement, you will have to pay interest on this amount from
the date that it should have been paid where you are 14 days or more in arrears. The interest rate is
3% above the base rate used by the Bank of England". This is currently 5.25% so 8.25%

If the rent is £1000 per calendar month and no rent has been paid since the rent day

1) Is the calculation per day or per year

i.e. if rent arrears are £1000, calc is (simple interest assumed) either
1000 x 0.0825 = £82.5 per day or
1000 x 0.0825 / 365 = £0.23 per day (rounded up)

2) Is the interest rate chargeable compound or simple interest?

3) After 14 days, is the interest rate chargeable from day 1 or day 14?

If the latter part of par 1), it surely gives the incentive to the tenant not to pay as the interest is so so low anyways.

Confused...

Last edited:
Yes BOE rate is the annual rate so by default pegging anything to it is also annual.

I would say assumption to me is simple. I cannot imagine it would get to a point where the difference would be anything other than pennies.

Point three I would say from day 1. You get 14 days grace and after that your charged interest as your in breach of contract.
Works the same way on credit card interest, if you don't pay within the free window then its from the date of the transaction.

Caporegime

If you have to ask questions like this then you probably shouldn't be anywhere near tenants. Or properties. Or money in general.

KVuJU0U.jpeg

Associate
OP
I seldom disappoint. If there's a cheap quip to be made at someone else's expense, I'll be there. Like a turd that just won't flush. Floating around in your toilet bowl laughing at your incompetence.
That's still good to get some advice from the forums. Do you recommend putting a certain amount towards investments or some sort of savings?

Caporegime
What a crappy landlord, I'd stop paying the rent and smash the place up...

if you pay the rent in advance do you then earn interest on those payments until the due date?

I bet the rent goes up by 9% a year or something daft too.... sounds like a proper nazi landlord

8.25%.... I bet loan sharks offer better rates

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What a crappy landlord, I'd stop paying the rent and smash the place up...

if you pay the rent in advance do you then earn interest on those payments until the due date?

I bet the rent goes up by 9% a year or something daft too.... sounds like a proper nazi landlord

8.25%.... I bet loan sharks offer better rates
Yeah that didn’t work. Only for the landlord to charge more for messing the place up.

Just meant loosing the deposit. Good to know tenants don’t need to pay rent let alone on time. Squatter rights is real ha

Caporegime
Yeah that didn’t work. Only for the landlord to charge more for messing the place up.

Just meant loosing the deposit. Good to know tenants don’t need to pay rent let alone on time. Squatter rights is real ha
it is if a landlord starts extracting urine.
if your not the landlord then start looking for a new place where your landlord isn't a penny pincher....

Peace of mind from a good tenant is surely worth something.... greed is disgusting

Last edited:
Soldato

From what you wrote, the interest would chargeable from day 1. So if you pay at day 13 you have no interest to pay, but if you then dont pay and the 14th day is reached you would have to pay interest on the full 14 days.

Associate
I want some confirmation of this, and mainly around the maths:
The Tenancy Agreement states:

"If you owe rent you must pay under the agreement, you will have to pay interest on this amount from
the date that it should have been paid where you are 14 days or more in arrears. The interest rate is
3% above the base rate used by the Bank of England". This is currently 5.25% so 8.25%

If the rent is £1000 per calendar month and no rent has been paid since the rent day

2) Is the interest rate chargeable compound or simple interest?

If the latter part of par 1), it surely gives the incentive to the tenant not to pay as the interest is so so low anyways.

Confused...
The way to calculate it is with the daily compounding rate, there are calculators online and there's a formula for it.

"1000 x 0.0825 / 365 = £0.23 per day (rounded up)"
This would only be accurate if you paid it exactly 1 year later.

Back
Top Bottom