Renting a garage?

Soldato
Thinking about renting a garage, has anyone done that before? I've found a couple within a 10 minute drive for about £80-£100 a month.

Anything to look out for, is it just money down the drain?

Soldato
I did it for several years and it was less than half of what you're looking at. Depends what you want from it. Is just somewhere to keep a car in regular use? Weekend toy? Do you want to work on a car there? If you want to do more than keep stuff there then lack of light/electricity is frequently an issue.

I'd usually drive to mine but it was within reasonable walking distance if I needed to collect or drop off a car. I just used it as storage for the track car and some wheels/parts etc.

Soldato
OP
I did it for several years and it was less than half of what you're looking at. Depends what you want from it. Is just somewhere to keep a car in regular use? Weekend toy? Do you want to work on a car there? If you want to do more than keep stuff there then lack of light/electricity is frequently an issue.

I'd usually drive to mine but it was within reasonable walking distance if I needed to collect or drop off a car. I just used it as storage for the track car and some wheels/parts etc.

Just going to be used to store a second car, something impractical/sporty for the weekend

MrM

MrM

Associate
I rented one in SW London for years storing my weekend toy. It was a 5 min walk, 3 min cycle from my house. In hindsight it meant I used my car less and I was constantly worried about security, as the lockup area wasn’t overlooked and the forecourt unlit. I just hoped there were other easier targets out there.

I know of other, less secure garages that were broken in to. A number of tradesmen used the garages to store stuff and there was a lot of sharp debris on the floor, though luckily I don’t recall ever getting a puncture, something to bear in mind.

I have car OCD and as a weekend toy my car would have been liable to the bumps and scrapes of on street parking, however the cost of repairs would have been less than my rental outgoings over the years. What is the cost of hassle of repairs to you.....?

At the end of the day I think everyone’s situation is unique. Weigh up convenience, access, cost and security and go from there. Don’t lock yourself in contract for too long a time in case it doesn’t work out.

Soldato
Obviously it depends on where you live, but that sounds expensive. Would a commercial storage centre be any cheaper locally? The one I use is less than that each month and comes with 24/7 access via key-code, monitored alarm and CCTV as well as electric hookup for trickle charger etc.

Back
Top Bottom