Reoccurring Varied BSODs on new build with clean install Win7SP1

Associate
Specs
Mobo: Asus Z87-k DDR3 ATX Motherboard (BIOS ver 1103 originally, updated to 1302 now)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.40Ghz (Haswell)
Gfx: MSI Geforce GTX 770 Gaming Edition 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-E
Sound Card: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (Edited to correct name)
Storage: 1 TB WD Caviar Black HDD, 640Gb WD Caviar Black HDD
RAM: TeamGroup Xtreem LV "Frost Edition" 8GB (2x4Gb) DDR3 2400Mhz Dual Channel Kit
PSU: Corsair TX650w

Basically, I just built the above and after a clean install of Win 7 and attempting to install drivers I am getting varied and recurrent BSODs. IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL, SYSTEM_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED etc. As a point, I had set the XMP profile for the DRAM to set the proper settings; it was underclocked by default on the mobo.

I have performed Memtest86 for 12 passes and found no errors. Chkdsks on the hard drives seem to find no errors. Also taken it apart and rechecked each connection and placement twice. Blue screen viewer seems to implicate ntoskrnl.exe in all of the BSODs.

I then clean installed to Win7 SP1 (My initial disk was only Win 7) using a bootable USB which worked fine but I still get bluescreens. I managed to install most of the drivers (Chipset, MEI, USB3.0controller, GFX card driver, LAN Driver, Realtek audio driver) in safemode but still get crashes which don't seem to leave any .dmps that bluescreen viewer can see. I had one IRQL.. one and the rest are non-specific BSOD screens.

At the moment, I've progressed (or regressed) to being stuck before the login screen at "Please Wait".

I'm kind of at a loss at this point in time as to what to do but I figure it might sit better with a clean install since the new bios update.

Any ideas? The RAM isn't on the qualified vendors list but memtest is fine and its recognised in the bios perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah XMP profile 1 which matches the spec for the RAM (tbh its the only profile there) and Memtest86 has run for 12 passes with no errors.

Associate
OP
I think I did at some point in the past. I've been through 4 clean installs and tinkering with the DRAM settings in the UEFI.

I'll try it again though.

Associate
OP
Tried with one stick of RAM in varying slots to see if it was a bad slot or stick before I ran memtest but it still BSOD'd with both sticks and memtest reported no errors. I haven't tried taking the soundcard out. I bought it in 09 and its carrying over from my previous build so maybe it is conflicting with something.

Man of Honour
Probably worth giving the VTT and VCSSA a couple of clicks incase the IMC is struggling.

EDIT: Dunno if you've got as far as installing the soundcard drivers but make sure your on the latest betas as the X-Fi + Windows 7 didn't play nice on the previous non-beta driver. (EDIT: Though IIRC the Xtreme Audio was the Audigy chip which was a different thing entirely).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I mis-remembered my soundcard name; went and checked the box its the X-fi xtreme gamer. Frankly when I tried to install the latest driver (non-beta) it crashed during installation with a BSOD. I'm in the BIOS looking at the C states for the CPU atm. Will post when I get a result.

Associate
OP
Turned off C6,C7 and it oddly bluescreened when I stuck in the USB with all the drivers on it. the bsod listed a usb driver for the fault. I had the latest usb driver on it too which is odd.

Couldn't find any VTT or VCSSA settings in the UEFI Bios or the manual sorry.

Associate
OP
System Service Exception while installing Google Chrome ad windows updates citing win32k.sys as the culprit. No minidumps for some reason. Very odd.
Going to hopefully try to get all the windows updates installed see if it makes any difference. The new drivers apparently might not account for unpatched windows versions which means they hit the old bugs that were fixed years ago.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Getting 0x0000001E errors which I think is related to network drivers , will try an older driver until I can get all the updates. Also dxgmmsl.sys which seems to be a directx driver from my gfx card. This was in safe mode with networking...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom