Repair Mid 2012 Retina MBP or pull trigger on a new one?

Associate
Hi all,

I have a Mid 2012 Retina MBP (2.3Ghz I7, 16GB, 256GB SSD, GeForce 650M). It has served as an absolute workhorse and is by far possibly the best purchase I have ever made, literally has not skipped a bit.

Now obviously due to the age it is starting to show wear and tear. The battery needs replacing, the trackpad sometimes gets 'stuck' (notibly the left and right buttons), some of the black rubber rim surronding the screen is coming away and I am in dire need of more internal storage.

Now let me just say that I have absolutely no need for more performance. I work in Enterprise IT (at this moment a lot of it is in DevOps / Site Reliability Engineering) and it is more than ample for what I throw at it. I sometimes might spin up a VM or 2 but the 16GB covers me as I usually run those at bare minimum for testing.

I can't say I'm overly impressed with the new generation of MBP. I use the existing ports extensively and dropping down to Thunderbolt only ports will be a real hit. Similarly with the keyboard. If I spec up what I would probably move to (2.3Ghz i9, 32GB, 1TB or 2TB, 15" MBP) I'm looking at £3339 ~ £3699.

I am just delaying the inevitable or could I simply get my existing MBP upgraded / repaired, etc and carry on?

Back
Top Bottom