Replace my 24" dell with the 30"?

darkblade said:
I'm taking a wild guess here, but it might be because it is bigger?!

A LOT bigger. It's like going from a 19" or 20" to a 24", but slightly bigger still (it's a screen area increase of over 50%). I don't think it has the useful video, vga, etc connections like on the 2405.
Screen refresh is apparently the same on the 24" and 30", the only main difference is a slightly lower contrast ratio on the 30".

I'm thinking of swapping out one of my 24"s for the new 30" and there are 2 things that I've had to consider.

1) Does my GFX card setup support dual link DVI mode (NB this is NOT SLI)?
I have a 7800GTX setup, the 7800 does support dual link and I have been advised by the Overclockers staff that Dual Link will work over SLI too.

2) Will my games run well at the monitor's native resolution of 2560x1600?
Erm.....no idea - I've not seen any results anywhere yet. Anyone care to comment on real expereince or point to a reliable review somewhere?

Agent WD40 said:
Wanna swap 'cos i'm one of those guys who isn't happy 'till I get the best.

But going on what your saying, i'll stick where I am.

Thanks none the less guys.

Agent.

Yeah, really dude :rolleyes:. Next time actually wait before coming out with sarcastic crap. It's obvious he had no real need for it. I'm trying to save someone a huge wedge of cash, rather than "OMG YOU RULE GO FOR 30+++++" - be realistic. Anyway - nice one sticking with your 24" - it has a huge res anyway - there is absolutely NO need to go over 1680*1050 in all honesty.

Hi Darkblade,

I live new Reading. And the people who sold us the kit (B&B Hi-Fi) went bust last year. Most infurating 'cos we placed a MASSIVE order their way.

None the less, these things happen. I'll have a poke around the back of the hifi and see what I can find.

As for Robert. Yup, running games above 1680*1050, I agree. But it does look really cool taking a screen shot at 1920 x 1200 just for the hell of it. And yes, I play FEAR with that res. And looks so nice!

Agent.

Robert said:
Yeah, really dude :rolleyes:. Next time actually wait before coming out with sarcastic crap. It's obvious he had no real need for it. I'm trying to save someone a huge wedge of cash, rather than "OMG YOU RULE GO FOR 30+++++" - be realistic. Anyway - nice one sticking with your 24" - it has a huge res anyway - there is absolutely NO need to go over 1680*1050 in all honesty.

Have to agree on this one. 24" is the magic & thin line when you have to decide what do you actually want ? LCD TV or monitor LCD. I guess that even nice 32" LCD TV with good component in/hdtv inputs can do the job "properly" ... and most modern GPU cards are able to use DVI->HDTV or component out conversions. Unfortunately, at the end of the day you will be punished probably by slow response times for games. In other to "enjoy" the high resolutions you really really have to splash loads of money ... and questions of the day is: Is it worth it ? For me, not.

Robert simply tried to help in economical and honest way and he is definitely not the type of the guy who feels that "his" is bigger because of the largest possible monitor he can find around.

BUT ... hold your horses. Maybe THIS is the real option for the Agent WD40:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=988

I went from a 2005fpw to a 3000WFP, and i play a lot for CSS and LFS, and im running through a 7800GT

So far i would say that i am completely happy with the choice that i made.

No regrets at all.

t_aitch said:
I went from a 2005fpw to a 3000WFP, and i play a lot for CSS and LFS, and im running through a 7800GT

So far i would say that i am completely happy with the choice that i made.

No regrets at all.

What resolutions are you running CSS and LFS at?

Any pics of your screen? We'd love to see it!

Robert said:

I disagree. I have a mac 20" and find my screen res limited. If you do any digi photo or art you soon get frustrated with the workspace. I really want a 30" but unless I go mac all the way and sell my pc I can't see the point. It will cost me 600-700 to get my pc up to spec for the 30" screen. :(

Agent WD40 said:
Hi Darkblade,

I live new Reading. And the people who sold us the kit (B&B Hi-Fi) went bust last year. Most infurating 'cos we placed a MASSIVE order their way.

None the less, these things happen. I'll have a poke around the back of the hifi and see what I can find.

As for Robert. Yup, running games above 1680*1050, I agree. But it does look really cool taking a screen shot at 1920 x 1200 just for the hell of it. And yes, I play FEAR with that res. And looks so nice!

Agent.

I've added you to my MSN

spudstudios said:
I disagree. I have a mac 20" and find my screen res limited. If you do any digi photo or art you soon get frustrated with the workspace. I really want a 30" but unless I go mac all the way and sell my pc I can't see the point. It will cost me 600-700 to get my pc up to spec for the 30" screen. :(

You use yours for photo/art etc. He wanted one for the pure fun of it :p

Back
Top Bottom