replace trash induction with gas hob in this space - possible?

Soldato
hey guys,

This induction hob is making my life a misery and I need a gas one. It's gonna be a while before I can fit a new kitchen with a gas hob & layout i'd prefer; so I'm sort of stuck with retro-fitting a gas hob into this space for now. I've never thought it was possible until I asked a gas man who was round servicing the boiler took a quick look at it and said yea, no problem - just order it! but I'm in doubt as I near closer to dropping 250 on a new hob!

my concern is the FCU & socket on the wall - (130mm high to the centre), the cooker hood being 60mm too low (700mm), and the small bit of wall that comes out on the left, 100mm from the edge of the hob. the bottom trim of the wall unit is 395mm from the worktop, 440mm if i took the trim off.

everything here doesn't seem to meet the regs; I think this kitchen has been fitted like this because of the previous owners height. I stott my head off the hood on a regular basis hence the addition of Chicken Castle battlements.

r6AEJ5i.png
p.s as for getting a gas supply to that location, he'd have to take it around the outside of the house.

Soldato
Most gas hobs specify 750mm minimum to the extractor and usually that measurement is taken from the burner not the worktop, socket behind the hob is also not allowed so will have to be moved. The wall unit is low as well, minimum should be 460mm from the worktop, you need a 50mm spacing between edge of hob and low wall unit.

You can get top of line induction hobs, that would seem like a better replacement than gas, if you replace like for like you should not need to move the socket.

Soldato
OP
Most gas hobs specify 750mm minimum to the extractor and usually that measurement is taken from the burner not the worktop, socket behind the hob is also not allowed so will have to be moved. The wall unit is low as well, minimum should be 460mm from the worktop, you need a 50mm spacing between edge of hob and low wall unit.

You can get top of line induction hobs, that would seem like a better replacement than gas, if you replace like for like you should not need to move the socket.

hey, thanks for your reply. seems like everything here is wrong then - I'm already just thinking of drawing up my ideal kitchen from scratch instead and saving whatever I would have spent on the gas gob, fitting and moving the electrics; putting up with this for as long as I can.

we used to have a much better induction hob but my gf smashed it by accident. That one was really good (Siemens or Samsung) - but still nowhere near as good as a gas hob that I long for. My biggest issue with induction hobs is the pans it limits me to using, and how the pans have to be in contact with the glass surface to heat up. When I cook I handle the pans a lot, they're often lifted off the stove but still on the heat - I really dislike cooking on these glass surfaces and the touch buttons do my nut in! we want knobs! big, tactile knobs!

This hob has warped some of my best pans rendering them nearly useless, and it's even cracked one of my skillets - splitting it down the middle! i've barely cooked in this house since we got it; I tend to just BBQ whenever I can instead - and no, it's not a gas BBQ! I wouldn't have one of them either haha!

Soldato
Just checked on one of our gas hobs and its 650 from worktop to hood and 400 to wall cabinets plus 50 from side of hob.
Manufacturers spec supersede gas regs so it will be very dependent on what you buy.
As @200sols said your biggest issue is the plug socket and that 395, but you'd probably get over the 400 by taking the decor trim off.

What are your issues with induction, is the one you have one of the stupid 3kw variants?

Soldato
I do believe that current regs are 750mm to the hood. But our gas hob (which has been in for probably 20 years) has a hood 650mm above it and it has never caused any issues apart from me constantly smashing my head in to it.

I would also be very worried about those switches behind the hob. But I think they're problematic anyway, even with your induction hob!

If you go on AO.com and look at their info pages, they have diagrams for official 'hot zone' dimensions under the different installation guidances.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Does the extractor extract outside do you have scope to raise it?

Does the switch only serve the hob or is there an oven below? If just the hob it would be redundant anyway once the hobs removed, disconnect at the board and blank it off, tile over or similar.

Do you need the corner wall cupboard? would removing it be an option?

If the eventual plan is to change the kitchen anyway and this would make your life easier I'd be looking at the above options.

And I agree I much prefer gas and have brought mains gas into my current and last property mainly for the cooking aspect :D current build is a 32mm steel gas pipe under screed 15m run just for the hob :cool:

Soldato
We have an induction hob in the house we just moved in to. It's a NEFF and I bet it cost a fortune.

I much preferred using the ~£250 ceramic hob we had at the last house. Heating with heat instead of magnetism just seems a whole lot more natural. Although it was harder to keep clean as anything hitting the glass almost immediately burned.

Soldato
I think I had the same extractor at my last house. If not, I bet the fixing is almost identical. It's just a couple of bolts into the wall, so should be dead easy to take off and shift a few inches higher up the wall.

The main issue I can see if the horrible placement of that plug / isolator. Do you have access to the cable that leads to it from anywhere? If you can access it from below - I'd want to isolate it elsewhere (under the counter ideally) amd remove that socket / switch entirely. If I were doing it quick and nasty, I'd then add a splash back behind the hob to cover the gap in the tiles (both where the socket should be, and the increased distance to the extractor).

Soldato
We have an induction hob in the house we just moved in to. It's a NEFF and I bet it cost a fortune.

I much preferred using the ~£250 ceramic hob we had at the last house. Heating with heat instead of magnetism just seems a whole lot more natural. Although it was harder to keep clean as anything hitting the glass almost immediately burned.

Same in our new house. Shiny bosch induction.
Such a pain to control the heat I really want my gas hob back.
Only positive it's easy to clean the induction.

Soldato
This is interesting as i was musing getting rid of our gas topped range cooker for an induction one as i'd only ever heard positive things from other people.
I have a gas topped range, and we're not even on mains gas (have bottled propane). But had weighed up the idea of getting induction when this oven needs replacing.

I think there's a certain amount of confirmation bias with these induction hobs. When you've paid quite a lot of money for one, you're going to be keen to convince yourself it's great. It's interesting that this thread has a few people who 'inherited' them with house moves, and they don't like them. They do look good, and I imagine cleaning isn't the chore it is for gas tops, though.

Soldato
I have a gas topped range, and we're not even on mains gas (have bottled propane). But had weighed up the idea of getting induction when this oven needs replacing.

I think there's a certain amount of confirmation bias with these induction hobs. When you've paid quite a lot of money for one, you're going to be keen to convince yourself it's great. It's interesting that this thread has a few people who 'inherited' them with house moves, and they don't like them. They do look good, and I imagine cleaning isn't the chore it is for gas tops, though.

Yeah cooking on our gas hob is brilliant and i can't fault that really apart from i wish ours would go a bit lower on heat, even the smallest ring can be a bit too hot to just simmer some things.

I'd mainly want to change as cleaning and then keeping a gas top clean is a massive huge pain that i hate

Soldato
I much preferred the ceramic hob to the gas hob we had before it. Mainly for the ease of cleaning and the practicality of having a simple flat glass surface when it's not in use.

However when we moved from ceramic to induction, many of our existing pans didn't work.

Soldato
I much preferred the ceramic hob to the gas hob we had before it. Mainly for the ease of cleaning and the practicality of having a simple flat glass surface when it's not in use.

However when we moved from ceramic to induction, many of our existing pans didn't work.
We specced our Rangemaster to have a glass lid to put down when not in use. Mostly because the kitchen is pretty small, but it means we can get away with cleaning the hobs a little less regularly too :D

I always found ceramics to be awful to cook with, tbh. The inconsistent heat was a frustration.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It's funny, I went the other way.

Induction is brilliant would never switch back to gas. Maybe you just have bad induction plate.

Still it needs sorting, but the foam is good when your drunk and need to rest your head while cooking bacon.

Back
Top Bottom