Replacement for ASUS Prime Z390-A (reasonably priced)

Associate
Hey all,

Recently moved house and my second PC seems to have been bashed about during the move. I've tested all the different components separately and am 99% certain that the motherboard is the culprit.

The PC is mainly used for video editing and general admin stuff so it doesn't need to be super high spec. I'd like to avoid replacing other components so it's essential the replacement mobo is compatible with them:

The current set up is:

ASUS Prime Z390-A
MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ventus XS 6G OC
CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 4000 (PC4-32000) C19
be quiet Pure Power 11 500W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply
Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU Cooler with NF-A15 Fan
Kolink Stronghold Overseer Midi Tower Gaming Case - Black Window

What's the best replacement motherboard at a reasonable price that can be just swapped into this set up without having to replace other components?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looks like your going to get a used motherboard any z390 motherboard will swap straight in but you will need to install chipset drives, etc for the replacement board.

Alternatively a z370 but you may have to update the bios for the cpu to work , check with the seller what vpu and bios there running .

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you actually overclocking? If not, look at the B360 motherboards. I presume that you've rejected the low-quality Asus Prime H310.

If you're okay with refurbished boards there's a four-letter American company that's selling Z370 boards for cheap. E.g. an Asus Rog Strix Z370-H for $100.

Man of Honour
Are you actually overclocking? If not, look at the B360 motherboards. I presume that you've rejected the low-quality Asus Prime H310.

If you're okay with refurbished boards there's a four-letter American company that's selling Z370 boards for cheap. E.g. an Asus Rog Strix Z370-H for $100.
Did z370 and b360 support 9th gen out the box , I can't remember ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey guys, thank you for these replies. I am not overclocking and I think I had to upgrade the firmware to get the PC working when I originally built it. So what do you reckon?

Man of Honour
Hey guys, thank you for these replies. I am not overclocking and I think I had to upgrade the firmware to get the PC working when I originally built it. So what do you reckon?

I'd stick with Z390 ideally, but like @mickyflinn said, you can always ask the seller what cpu they used, or what bios it's running. With used stuff, can't really afford to be too picky if you're getting a good deal.

By the way, I don't think you could run your memory at max speed unless you buy Z370 or Z390.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom