Replacement for my dt770's

Associate
I know i can get the parts to love them back up,New sliders (broken)and replacement foam (pretty disgusting and flat after over 7000 hours use). But 40 quid for a crap bit of plastic and some foam does not seem like an epic deal to me!

So I have around £300 (ish) to spend on something new and shiny. Budget is not set in stone but that's around what I was thinking.Obviously I could just buy another pair for a hundred quid and be done for another 6 years. I also thought about another pair of them and a dac/amp? as I use my onboard sound (asus x470 gaming-f). I do like the dt770's as I do not play competitive fps and don't need to hear a perfect location for someone farting or whatever. I also dislike the 3d sound as there is just to much echo, so no point wasting money on a soundcard?

I spend half my life sat on my arse watching netflix, listening to spotify and playing games on my pc so I feel I should treat myself a little!

What do you guys think?

Soldato
But 40 quid for a crap bit of plastic and some foam does not seem like an epic deal to me!

I do like the dt770's as I do not play competitive fps and don't need to hear a perfect location for someone farting or whatever. I also dislike the 3d sound as there is just to much echo, so no point wasting money on a soundcard?
Cheer up.
You would have to pay nearly £50 for just single pad in some other headphones.:mad:

If you've tried Dolby Headphone that's very average, with very echoing sound and with bass bloat which is bad fit for bass heavy cans.
Creative's algorithms are superior.
Just week and half ago shortly tested DT770 in one shop with few gaming clips and it sounded impressive compared to expectations.
(and having tried Amiron Home before that)
First minute of this excellent quick test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1_20T8x_OI

Associate
If you liked the 770s and can save another £80 you could go for the 1770? I've not tried them but have heard good things from others.

Soldato
Another vote for the DT1770 / DT1990, depending on whether you want closed or semi-open back. I have the 1990 and love them, the Tesla drivers sound like the DT770/990 on steroids - tons of high end detail and fast, strong, layered bass - since I bought them a year ago, my HD650 and HE400i hang sullenly on their mug tree :D

Soldato
Another vote for the DT1770 / DT1990, depending on whether you want closed or semi-open back. I have the 1990 and love them, the Tesla drivers sound like the DT770/990 on steroids - tons of high end detail and fast, strong, layered bass - since I bought them a year ago, my HD650 and HE400i hang sullenly on their mug tree :D
I have looked at headphones around that price bracket, and I have always wonder how the Beyer DT1770/DT1990 compares to the Shure SRH1540/SRH1840. Any idea?

Associate
1540 is softer sounding than the 1990. 1990 has that typical brash beyer sound. 1990 is more resolving. I personally don't like the 1990 I don't find it enjoyable it's too aggressive and doesn't resolve as much as some others within its price range or cheaper but if you're a beyer fan they'll prob sound awesome.

The 1540 is a nice hessphien I've not heard it on years but enjoyed it back on the day when I loved headphones more lol

Associate
1990 has that typical brash beyer sound.

Yeah, Beyers tend to sound a lot better with a bit of equalisation to tame the high end. With that in place, they sound better than many similarly priced headphones that have a more neutral default presentation. I guess they must have quite low distortion or something.

Perfect for when you hit middle age and your body does the high end roll off for you :)

Soldato
I have the DT 770 and i am also looking to replace them with something else, I do have some momentum 2.0 but after about an hourse they start to hurt my ears as the cups are rather small.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, Beyers tend to sound a lot better with a bit of equalisation to tame the high end. With that in place, they sound better than many similarly priced headphones that have a more neutral default presentation. I guess they must have quite low distortion or something.

Perfect for when you hit middle age and your body does the high end roll off for you :)
I do think it's a solid headphone I just never liked the timbre of open beyers. They're fun though! Yeah no doubt my preferences will change in the future I just find myself being more sensitive to dramatic shifts in the frequency response.

Soldato
My ears do the high frequency roll off for me, so the highs just sound detailed and lively without being annoying, basically the DT1990 is the perfect headphone for 60yr olds :D

Back
Top Bottom