Replacement heated windscreen issues.

Soldato
Anyone else had a heated windscreen replaced and had nothing but issues with it?

I have Autoglass coming out tomorrow to fit the 4th windscreen in 12 months to my car as the heating elements keep failing in the ones they are fitting, last one was fitted only 2 months ago.

Anyone else had the same problems?

Soldato
OP
Yep. I had the same issue in my old Mondeo.

Also in a Mondeo, but an ST220 i intend to keep long term. Wonder how many screens they will fit before they put a Ford one in it, i refused the last one as it was the same as the first three.

Soldato
OP
My replacement heated windscreen had a few failed elements from day one but wasn't worth the hassle of swapping.

I'm picky, a single failed element is a warranty replacement claim imo. I have an ST220 specifically because I wanted one rather than it being a cheap old car so it's maintained to the same level as a brand new one.

Seems they have seen sense as although they couldn't fit it as the weather was too bad the guy had a look on his van for me and it's a dealer part they have supplied this time.

Soldato
OP
Well, here we are again & another failed screen. First time using it tins winter and there was a 3" band down the passenger side not working so they replaced it last week with another "Shatterprufe" screen and now it looks like a barcode, it's worse than the one they just took out!

Soldato
OP
St220 here also (not to far down the road from you if i am correct (Warsop)), i ended up paying extra to get a ford one fitted independently (auto windscreens) cost about £400 from memory been fine although now has chip in it. Went through 3 aftermarket ones first mind.

Was this Autoglass fitting the screens and was yours repeated heating element failure?

If so how long ago was it and can you remember what glass they fitted?

They deny there are any issues with their glass but you are now the 3rd person i've spoken to who has been through the same thing.

Soldato
OP
The insurer is regulated by FOS so you could threaten to go down this route if they don't facilitate a resolution to your windscreen woes by agreeing to an OEM replacement.

This is the eventual plan but i'd rather not go there due to the hassle, i have a complaint raised currently with them.

One of their engineers called me yesterday & is trying to blame it on a faulty alternator, it's been checked, it's fine. He told me that the replacement glass costs them over £500 each time so they want my car to check over it themselves, thought he was talking tosh so rung my insurer & got a copy of how much they were billed for the glass and it was only £158.94 so with my £75 excess £233.94 and they will be making a chunk on that so i bet it's less than £200 all in.

Soldato
OP

If it was indeed Autoglass would you mind me quoting your vehicle reg as an example? Do you still have the car?

Yes i'm not far from you, i'm in Worksop.

They insist there is no issue and there clearly is, it's not something i'm willing to back down on. The only acceptable resolution now is a dealer screen fitted to proper Ford spec, if there is no Ford logo on it it's not acceptable.

Soldato
OP
Does your screen have to be "damaged" for you to make a claim on insurance or can you ask for replacement even if just an element breaks? My ford has a failed section. I'm fully comp and replacement screens are about £75 or £100 excess for me I think.

Normally they need to be damaged however all the replacements are failing and are under warranty.

Back
Top Bottom