• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Replacement help?!

amx

amx

Associate
Evening

I bought the following just over three years ago:

AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 1700 3.70GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - RetailGigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 AMD B350 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Recently, my pc has refused to boot intermittently, and is getting worse by the day (it comes on, but the internal speaker doesn't beep and the bios screen doesn't display). I'm now having to turn it off and on around 50 times to get one successful boot.

I've replaced the power supply, and tested the ram in a friends PC, who used it for a couple of weeks with no issue (and I had their ram). It only has a graphics card (GTX 1060) and WiFi (netgear pci-e card) in it, which both appear to be working fine. So I'm left thinking it's the processor or motherboard.

As so much time has passed, I'm guessing I can't buy compatible parts anymore, so I'm looking for a replacement motherboard and cpu.

I don't game anymore, it's mainly used for office work from home (office applications, OneDrive, Citrix workspace), watching youtube, netflix, britbox, etc, spotify. But it also acts as centralised storage for the home (it has an internal ssd boot drive and two 7200 rpm storage drives) and the hub for the network printer (connected through USB).

Anything cheap and cheerful, that's capable and won't feel too much slower, that can be recommended as a replacement?

Thanks in advance!

Man of Honour
I'm not sure if B550 boards are compatible with your CPU, but B450 should be, so perhaps something like the B450 Tomahawk Max? You could then worry about the CPU if it doesn't work in the new board.

amx

amx

Associate
OP
I've tried updating the bios. The windows app says it can't read the bios file and fails. And when I've tried to do it using q flash, it keeps saying no disc found even though there is a usb stick with a bios plugged in :mad:

Back
Top Bottom