Replacement needed for ageing power supply

Associate
Ive just upgraded my CPU and Motherboard and ive decided i need a new power supply because ive worked it out that my current one is getting on for 10 years old and im aware that next upgrade i will probably need to get a new one anyway so i might as well bite the bullet now.

Im currently running:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (which i would like to try overclocking)
MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard
Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Graphics 4096mb
1TB Samsung HD
250gb Samsung SSD

Ive got about £80 max to spend and id prefer a modular or semi modular PSU.
Any advice would be gratefull appreciated

Associate
OP
Ok so i missed out on those two PSu's on offer because i had to use the funds i had for something else.However i have seen the Bitfenix Whisper M Series 550W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply which i like the look of and also the Seasonic Focus Plus 550W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply.

Ive read reviews and they both seem like good units can anyone give me advice on either of these or anything else?

Man of Honour
The Bitfenix Whisper M is a good psu but the 24 pin cable has a big ugly shroud on it that covers the capacitors they stuck on the end of the cable meaning that it sticks up much higher than a normal 24 pin cable does when plugged into the motherboard. The Seasonic is the better unit out of the two and has a 10 year warranty compared to the Bitfenix's 7 years. Go for the Seasonic, you will not be disappointed.

Associate
OP
The Bitfenix Whisper M is a good psu but the 24 pin cable has a big ugly shroud on it that covers the capacitors they stuck on the end of the cable meaning that it sticks up much higher than a normal 24 pin cable does when plugged into the motherboard. The Seasonic is the better unit out of the two and has a 10 year warranty compared to the Bitfenix's 7 years. Go for the Seasonic, you will not be disappointed.

I was leaning towards the Bitfenix because it had ribbon cables rather than the usual ones but you saying that has made me change my mind.So i have sourced the Seasonic from another site for the price of £75 with postage which i think is a bit of a bargain

Associate
If you find an EVGA at this price, they're excellent PSUs and 10 years warranty. Mine has the option to switch off the fan when under light load and is modular.

Back
Top Bottom