Replacement number plates

Soldato
Where's the best/cheapest place for these? Just after a standard one.

Seller on eBay called ezy plates front&back about £12. I have changed the plates on every car I have owned as they always look abit run down on most cars over 5 yrs old.

Soldato
Checked on ebay - they are half the price as every where else. Never thought of trying on there, thanks!

Yeh ebay is by far the cheapest. Make sure they have the companies name on the plate's "will say in the ad description" so that they are all 100% road and mot legal etc

Soldato
OP
Well turns out my "100% legal plates" from ebay aren't. The font, spacing and BS standard are all correct but the company isn't on the DVLA register. Hard to tell which ebayer are ligit, I only found out and got the plates and went to check.

Soldato
Well turns out my "100% legal plates" from ebay aren't. The font, spacing and BS standard are all correct but the company isn't on the DVLA register. Hard to tell which ebayer are ligit, I only found out and got the plates and went to check.

Did u use ezy plates on eBay? I've never had any problems with them. Just read there feedback before buying. U can tell if they look legit or not and as long as the company's name is printed on the plate it's fine.

Man of Honour

If it's going to be legal, you can't do it online as they need to check the V5 before making up the plates.

Soldato
I bet most of them aren't registered with the DVLA as required to be 100% legal.

Don't think anything would ever happen even if the company was not registered as long as it's all lettered and spaced correctly.
It's far worse that every little ego maniac chav in there White/black German whip or Range Rover hav there private plate all jumbled up into one word that still looks nothing like there name. Wher are these people all getting these plates from? And why do I see them every day not getting stopped by pc plod :confused:

Associate
The rules regarding number plates are insanely stupid. Garages don't have to be registered with vosa to repair your brakes but companies have to be registered with the dvla to make number plates.

I've been using ebay ones for the best part of 6 years and never had mot issues with it. Will be continuing to do so.

Associate
eBay item 201044505286 £9.98 inc del UK legal

Never had any issues with the plod on any of my previous cars, I had pressed plates which are legal.

Soldato
The rules regarding number plates are insanely stupid. Garages don't have to be registered with vosa to repair your brakes but companies have to be registered with the dvla to make number plates.

I've been using ebay ones for the best part of 6 years and never had mot issues with it. Will be continuing to do so.

Not really a good comparison as brakes aren't used to identify one vehicle from another. The rules are there to try and limit who can make up plates, although in reality they don't really work at all.

Man of Honour
Don't think anything would ever happen even if the company was not registered as long as it's all lettered and spaced correctly.
It's far worse that every little ego maniac chav in there White/black German whip or Range Rover hav there private plate all jumbled up into one word that still looks nothing like there name. Wher are these people all getting these plates from? And why do I see them every day not getting stopped by pc plod :confused:

I completely agree that for most people they won't have any issues with them, but that still doesn't mean they're 100% legal.

eBay item 201044505286 £9.98 inc del UK legal

Never had any issues with the plod on any of my previous cars, I had pressed plates which are legal.

Pressed plates can be legal, but I'm yet to see any that actually are on a vehicle that I've stopped.

Associate
Not really a good comparison as brakes aren't used to identify one vehicle from another. The rules are there to try and limit who can make up plates, although in reality they don't really work at all.

The rules are there to ensure that plates are of the same standard and ones that aren't being made to standard are traceable, not to distinguish vehicles apart. The only correct way to distinguish vehicles apart is by the VIN number.

The point being that there's no official test to determine the standard for the MOT, so it's pointless.

Comparing standards of work is a fantastic comparison, especially when it's regarding something of safety, and something that is entirely irrelevant. Having to register to make number plates is as pointless as having to register to make car bulbs. Total nonsensical waste of time.

Man of Honour
Pressed plates can be legal, but I'm yet to see any that actually are on a vehicle that I've stopped.

I had some from dubmeister on my Mondeo. They were correctly spaced with the correct character size. They had all the right markings on and they asked me to send them the V5 before they'd print them. They were incredibly reflective, more so than plastic ones, but technically I guess weren't made of a 'reflex reflective material' which was the wording, at least when I last checked. So I guess they weren't legal?

Back
Top Bottom