Replacing a dying PC, any suggestions?

Associate
Hi All

I've had a few issues with my current PC (late 2015 build), slowly going wrong bit by bit. I'm looking for a replacement but i've really lost touch with current specs and levels.

Looking at the off-the-shelf ocuk builds, how does this compare to my current build below? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...-2070-super-next-day-gaming-pc-fs-1cs-ep.html

Current build:

Intel Core i7-6700K
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
Asus 1070GTX 8gb
650W Corsair RMx 80/gold
250gb SSD
1tb HDD

I upgraded my monitor to a Acer Predator 3400x1440 a couple of years ago so need something that can run well at that res. Primarily a Gaming (and work) PC

Ideally i'd like to upgrade in terms of performance but not go mad cost wise. Any suggestions and advice appreciated

Cheers

Soldato
It'll give you a nice boost in performance, graphically, and in scenarios using more than 8 CPU threads.

It's a pity you'd be paying £100 for Windows again, when you already have it. And the power supply won't be top notch (the one you have will be better, if still in good condition and not the cause of the issues).

If it doesn't need to be next day there might be better solutions.

Associate
OP
It'll give you a nice boost in performance, graphically, and in scenarios using more than 8 CPU threads.

It's a pity you'd be paying £100 for Windows again, when you already have it. And the power supply won't be top notch (the one you have will be better, if still in good condition and not the cause of the issues).

If it doesn't need to be next day there might be better solutions.

It doesnt have to be next day, i can make do, so open to better solutions. Whats the best way to keep the windows, i'm assuming it can't be transferred these days?

Soldato
It doesnt have to be next day, i can make do, so open to better solutions. Whats the best way to keep the windows, i'm assuming it can't be transferred these days?

Is it Windows 10?

The Corsair RMx 650 Gold you currently have, has a 10 year warranty. So you could easily get that replaced by Corsair (their support is excellent vast majority of times), or re-use if in good condition. So you save more cash there too. The DDR4 16GB could be re-used as well (what speed is it?).

Associate
OP
Is it Windows 10?

The Corsair RMx 650 Gold you currently have, has a 10 year warranty. So you could easily get that replaced by Corsair (their support is excellent vast majority of times), or re-use if in good condition. So you save more cash there too. The DDR4 16GB could be re-used as well (what speed is it?).

Pretty sure the PSU is fine, although i don't want to get into too much of a fix diagnosing post as i'm too out of touch to do most of it these days and not sure i can be faffed with a complete re-wire job or build myself.

Not 100% sure on the RAM speed, speccy shows freq of 1060mhz running

Soldato
Pretty sure the PSU is fine, although i don't want to get into too much of a fix diagnosing post as i'm too out of touch to do most of it these days and not sure i can be faffed with a complete re-wire job or build myself.

That's what I felt and no problem. Can you describe the symptoms though? As that may provide an idea of what might be wrong with a certain piece of hardware and lead to best plan of action.

Not 100% sure on the RAM speed, speccy shows freq of 1060mhz running

Alright, hope this won't be too much faff for you (we need to know if the RAM is actually 3000MHz or faster for good performance with Ryzen, and simply not running at its rated speed because XMP isn't enabled). So could you please install CPU-Z and take a screenshot of the SPD tab or say what XMP speed it shows? Like so:

vZMUoRi.png

What about the Windows version? If it's Windows 10 you can tie your licence down digitally and it will transfer to another PC. If it's Windows 7 you might still be able to upgrade to 10 for free and then create a digital licence.

Associate
OP
hope this won't be too much faff for you

Ha, no problem. Just done, it's XMP-3200

What about the Windows version?

It's windows 10, so if there is a way to transfer then thats a saver. I didn't realise that was a thing.

Can you describe the symptoms though?

Main issues currently are a mix between random restarts and monitor shutdowns (switches to standby and wont respond) i have tried different monitors and it does the same on all, i'm not sure if they are the same problem, it tends to be one or another, usually when an application is launched. My gpu fan is also rattling, again i'm not sure if this is related to the crashes, GPU temperatures are fine, so just grinds, i've taken the card out and given it a clean and clipped it out and in but nothing, pretty sure the bearing is gone, quite annoying though.

I'm at a point where i'm up for making an upgrade anyway, although like you say if parts can be salvaged easily then thats fine by me. I do want to increase performance for some games though, i've struggled recently in TW titles and larger games like RDR2. This is primarily down to the monitor im running though, i need to power that!

Last edited:
Soldato
That's great info. Basically we have a dodgy graphics card, and the CPU and motherboard need replacing as part of the upgrade anyway.

So here's the thing, the only way to make use of the existing PSU and RAM (and put more money into new hardware, or save), without actually faffing with building yourself, is to find a local PC guy who will assemble the stuff for you if you give him the parts. Could even suggest a deal along the lines of "keep the motherboard and CPU (maybe GPU as well since it could be the issue)" as payment, since with the PC in bad shape you can't really sell it anyway as it's asking for trouble. Up to you. I would imagine a fair amount of PC builders might jump at the chance to take those items as payment, even if one of them is faulty, because they can make a bit more profit from the other two items (or all three) than by charging you say £100 for the build.

Or if that's not doable (nobody you trust, or would be inclined to trust, local) then maybe a custom spec for OcUK to build, without Windows, so at least you save on that, and with a better PSU than the next day pre-built comes with. To do that, post in Customer Service - Pre-Sales Queries forum, show them the spec and ask for a build quote.

And third suggestion would be just revert back to that next day system.

Here's a custom spec suggestion:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,241.09 (includes shipping: £13.20)

With the build fee it could be around £1,340, so about £100 less than the next day system, and with a better PSU (12 year warranty), larger and faster NVME M.2 SSD, and a Zotac 2070 Super with 5 years warranty (if you register it). You could add your existing drives to it later pretty easily with minimal faff.

Obviously the really major savings would come from going the local route I suggested, as then you'd scratch off the cost of a new PSU and RAM, and could potentially arrive at a build-in-exchange-for-parts deal, saving you a further £260. You could then choose a 2080 Super instead (the 2070 Super is already good enough but if you like your graphics settings high/ultra as much as possible then every little helps).

Hope that helps in terms of knowing some of your options and gives you a nice headache.

Windows 10 digital licence/link to Microsoft account info: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks Danny, this is all very helpful, especially the local build/parts exchange option, i'll have to look into it. Will digest and let you know!

Soldato
able to stretch to rtx 2080 super. specially for ultra wide 1440p

Total: £1,398.13 (includes shipping: £13.20)

case can go cheaper

so more of a fps return over your 1070 going 2080 super at that higher res... but your wallet will be lighter !​

Associate
able to stretch to rtx 2080 super. specially for ultra wide 1440p

Total: £1,398.13 (includes shipping: £13.20)

case can go cheaper

so more of a fps return over your 1070 going 2080 super at that higher res... but your wallet will be lighter !​
that ssd is now £150!

@nick2528 did you get your system yet?

Back
Top Bottom