Replacing Air Source Heat Pump

Associate
Hi, I'm looking to replace my Daikin air source system as the outside heat pump has broken and can't be repaired. To keep the system will costs upwards of 7k.
So I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can replace the indoor unit with an electric boiler. I'd keep the fan coils from the air source so the electric boiler would need to feed in to the water pipes that flow through the system.

I've been told that it can be done and that it can't! Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Soldato
£7k for fix a ASHP? Seems a bit steep, what exactly is wrong with it? No warranty?

You’ll lose all the benefits of an ASHP (low running costs) if you just switch to a standard electric boiler.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi, no and it's over 10 years old now. I've had a few people quote and it needs the outdoor pump unit replacing because it's no longer made. They've said because that has to be changed to a new one the indoor "boiler" unit needs to be replaced, as does the water tank (or there could be issues with the warranty) and existing fan coils and still be used.

The only other option given, by one contractor, was to not replace the existing heat pump units like for like and put an electric boiler in with the existing pipework. I suppose I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this as I've had conflicting advice on whether it's possible.

I'm not sure I'm going to be in the property long enough to gain from putting a new ASHP system in.

Cheers

Soldato
Makes more sense, I assume you have a normal wet radiator system? If that’s the case then I don’t see why that would be an issue, it’s a fairly standard option for those that don’t have gas. But you should factor in that it’s a huge downgrade in terms of the system itself. Your radiators will also likely be oversized now for the system as ASHP systems have to have bigger rads because they don’t get as hot.

It will end up costing a huge amount of money to run the heating over the winter compared to the ASHP. You are looking at 2X-4X the electric cost of your heating.

While you might not make all those costs back when you come to sell you need to consider what it will do to the sale price/attractiveness of your house. If you are looking to sell then having large running costs will also put off potential buyers, including me. You’ll also take a hit on the EPC rating for your home as it will be less efficient.

There are a few ASHP installers on here that might be able to help further.

Back
Top Bottom