Replacing decking, thoughts on staining / oiling..

Soldato
Hi,

I am planning to replace our large and worn out decking next weekend. The decking I will be getting from the merchants is your typical pressure treated stuff which has a green tint to it. I would like the decking to appear as natural as possible, unlike the last one which was painted green. After reading this thread , it seems that oil gives better results than stains.

1, Will the green tint disappear once oiled?
2, Should I oil straight away or leave the decking to stand for a few weeks?
3, I am best using a brush for the oiling, or look into a a pad or sprayer?
4, Any other tips I should consider?

Many thanks

Mark

Associate
If budget allows go for hardwood or composite.

If not, then use good quality decking oil (avoid stains) and apply with a block brush. It can be applied straightaway. Also remember to seal any end cuts.

Soldato
OP
Yes, we would have liked Composite, however the price is 5 times that of wood with the merchant we are using. Even though we are receiving a very generous trade discount, it still makes it unaffordable for us.

As for the green tint, should this no longer be visible after the oil?

Associate
Yes the green tint which is the preservative will disappear over time due to weathering and even if you didn't apply any decking oil.

Depending on the colour of oil you use, it will simply mask it until the wood is fully weathered.

If your happy with the limited colour choice i highly recommend the screwfix decking oil as its solvent based.

We used the top end cuprinol stuff before but its not got terrific staying power. Teh screwfix stuff you could really tell was solvent based, it soaked in waaay better.
Only minor issue is it forced out some of the sap, or should I say rejuvinated it, which shows how well it penetrated.

I use the solvent based wood treatment as well at my allotment and thats also very very good. Its possibly the same stuff just called a diff name as i wouldn't be able to tell the difference personally.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-timber-decking-oil-pine-5ltr/34098

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Liberon deck oil is brilliant imo, give it 2 coats this year. and it will give it a good base. You can get natural and other colours. I used Teak, I let mine go a little over the last 2-3 years, so I sanded it down and rollered it on, and it looks fantastic again. Pity the rest of the garden looks like **** at the mo lol.

Soldato
I've just installed new decking and finished about 6 weeks ago. The decking is only just finishing drying out even with all this heat so I'd recommend against oiling too soon.

Apply oil too soon can lock in the moisture causing the wood to rot. I am waiting until end the of August or early September to oil mine.

Mercenary, thanks for the advice on the screwfix own brand I will definitely take a look at it.

Soldato
OP
Hi all, sorry for the late response and many thanks for the advice. The Screwfix own brand stuff certainly gets very good reviews so I am sold on that as budget is limited. Just need to decide on colour now, options are Pine, Cedar, Oak or Clear.

We’re going to lay the replacement deck today and then plan to oil in a month or so to give it the best chance to dry out.

One question. Should I oil the parts which will be hard to get to today? Eg ends of the boards which will be butted up close to the house or along the the edges of the boards which will be laid upright and then covered by an overlap?

Cheers

Associate
The green will vanish after a while - don't treat it until then. OSMO oil is the best (and most expensive) - I do my deck once a year with it, and it still looks like new. It's coming up on 8 years old!

Soldato
Just installed a new deck last week, even in this heat it's not worth touching until the spring. You really want to make sure it's weathered for a few months before sealing it again. It'll be a bigger headache if you treat it before the old treatment has worn.

Associate
If budget allows go for hardwood or composite.

If not, then use good quality decking oil (avoid stains) and apply with a block brush. It can be applied straightaway. Also remember to seal any end cuts.

Totally agree the amount of money I have waisted on paints that's flaked over time, with the trouble jet washing it to oil, I think I could have brought composite decking lol

Associate
Barretine all in one, from Toolstation, clear or oak both look great depending on existing wood colour.

I've tried them all ronseal, cuprinol, sadolin, all peel, flake, green after a winter. Barretine does 2-3 years and still looks good, and then can be topped up without any sanding/cleaning faff.

Back
Top Bottom