Reset BIOS on HP

Associate
I've been asked by a mate if I can sort out an old laptop he has picked up from a clearance. It just needs a new SSD and a windows install. Its a HP Probook 440 G6
Normally this type of thing should be very straightforward by buying a Windows Key and doing an install in the normal way using a USB flash drive.

However, the BIOS is password protected, so I cant change the default boot to use a USB with a windows image on. Any way I can reset this. I had done a bit of research which suggested opening up the laptop and disconnecting the CMOS battery. However, this does not reset the password. Any other way I can reset BIOS to factory default?

Thanks

Associate
You could try bios-pw.org

If you enter the password wrong a few times it should give you a code which you can try on the site.

Goodluck!

Soldato
I've been asked by a mate if I can sort out an old laptop he has picked up from a clearance. It just needs a new SSD and a windows install. Its a HP Probook 440 G6
Normally this type of thing should be very straightforward by buying a Windows Key and doing an install in the normal way using a USB flash drive.

However, the BIOS is password protected, so I cant change the default boot to use a USB with a windows image on. Any way I can reset this. I had done a bit of research which suggested opening up the laptop and disconnecting the CMOS battery. However, this does not reset the password. Any other way I can reset BIOS to factory default?

Thanks

Yes, but you’ll need a BIOS programmer, heat gun, and soldering iron. The Adamant IT YouTube channel has a video or two on this. You might also be able to download a blanked BIOS on the internet or buy a BIOS chip with a blank BIOS on it on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom