Resetting a Surface Laptop 3

Soldato
I got a Surface Laptop 3 as part of a job lot auction from a closed down business. It appears to be pretty well locked down and it doesn't appear to be as easy as the good old days to reset these things.

A straight boot results in a 0x0000034 error.

Booting in to the UEFI BIOS results in most pages showing the message "Some settings are managed by your organization"...

Security Page:
Under UEFI Password "Add or Change" is greyed out
Under Secure Boot "Change Configuration" is greyed out

Boot Configuration Page:
This page gives 3 options for booting; Internal Storage, USB Storage and PXE Network.
"Enable Boot from USB Devices" is off and greyed out.

Management Page:
This page has the heading "Managed by: Microsoft Intune, On behalf of *Company Name*"
Going into "Configure" gives 3 options of "Refresh from Network" (with dfci.dds.microsoft.com as the address), "Refresh from USB" and "Management Recovery". None of these appear to be of any help.

Has anybody tackled anything like this before? Any ideas on where to start or is it a dead end?

Associate
That looks like it’s locked down with a DFCI profile: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/surface-manage-dfci-guide

I don’t know any way to bypass that, and with the business closed down I don’t know how you’d get them to unenroll it.

A long shot, maybe contact Microsoft Intune support, they’ll hopefully see their tenant is no longer in use and may be able to release it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom