Restaurant cancellation policies are getting (more) ridiculous...

Probably started, like was said, during the 'vid hayday when people would book multiple places and sack several off

That along with the dine and dash, it seems, 'craze' then I have no problem with it.

Would I go to a place that did this? Nope.

Then again I find eating out a disagreeable venture generally.

I wish them luck making this stick if you raised a section 75 against them, with no service provided and no signed contract.

48h is total nonsense, maybe if you cancelled within 2 hours of your booking, and a reduced rate up to 6 hours. Perhaps they should give you a guarantee of how long your food will be from the time you order it, and if it is late they give you a 5% discount for the full table per 5 minutes. I means fair is fair right, what if you are late for your next pre-booked event due to them being slow, and you lose a deposit?
Youve booked a table, Not a kitchen slot.

However, Having been in the restaurant game for a while now. No shows really mess things up. Yeah if you can fill the slot.. But how long do you give a no show. 10 mins, 20 mins. an empty table is costing the business money.

Its a horrible situation from both sides. But if your going to dine there then whats the harm in paying a bit up front?

Restaurant margins are really really tight.
Since we opened one of ours 5 years ago. Our wage bill is 30% higher. Our turnover is 35% down this year alone. Energy bills have skyrocketed. I'm amazed many independent sites are still able to trade.

Its a horrible situation from both sides. But if your going to dine there then whats the harm in paying a bit up front?
I suggested a compromise, 48 hours is total nonsense, if I book for Friday night at 19:00, and something happens on Wednesday night meaning If have to work Friday night then I lose £100-200, they can get lost with that nonsense.

As mentioned by someone earlier, I just won't book with anyone that has this backwards booking system and spend my money elsewhere, so they lose out.

Our wage bill is 30% higher.
So is everyone's, it's called inflation and NLW.

The charge should be reasonable though and reflect the food/drink cost savings the restaurant will make by you not turning up
Indeed. If anyone wants to do the maths for this particular example, our totally bill was £350 and I’d say about £160 of that was drink (predominantly wine). So that leaves £190. Yet if we didn’t turn up they’d get £200, and possibly fill the table as well.

I dunno. It is tricky and I hate to see restaurants suffer. And we did have a good night. I just feel that they put as many people off with such huge penalties, as they might for those that don’t turn up.

Edit: And besides it should be more of a deterrent than something to protect their costs. A £20pp charge or something (more common) is enough if a deterrent to (I’d imagine) stop 99% of people simply not turning up?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom