Restaurant Ideas - London

Soldato
I had posted in one of the other foody threads on here but didn't get much response.

It's our anniversary in December and we're off to London.

Most plans are made now but i'm looking for somewhere nice for a meal on our anniversary. It's the Friday 22nd December so the last Friday before Christmas.

I had initially booked Galvin at Windows which i was very excited about, but the wife doesn't seem keep on spending ~£500 for a meal and i want her to enjoy the night rather than thinking how expensive it is.

As such i'm quite like recommendations based on a budget of around £200. Assuming 3 courses and bottle of wine. Which i imagine should still be do-able.

Given it's our anniversary i'd like somewhere that feels special (hence Galvins!) but I'm pretty open about the cuisine.

Also wouldn't mind some suggestions for other places to eat.

We're staying at the Bloomsbury Hotel
https://www.doylecollection.com/hotels/the-bloomsbury-hotel

At the moment our plans seem to look like this

Wednesday - Arrive in London around 1ish. Head to Hotel, possibly head to Hyde park for the markets and then i think i've agreed to go and see Wicked at the Apollo Victoria Theatre in the evening

Thursday - Trip to Watford for the Harry Potter Studio tour, have booked the London Eye at around 6pm but then free after that

Friday - No plans for the day. I'd quite like to go to the London dungeons but not booked yet - Evening meal out

Saturday - Possible either mooching around if we didn't on the Friday or the Zoo. Train home around 4pm from Euston

Soldato
Fera or Aulis @ Fera - special place, special cuisine, not bonkers expensive.

Tasting menu only at the latter, but you'd be daft not to take the tasting menu at Fera as well. Both are delightful.

Soldato
What ive done recently...and a starter for 10 for you.

Marks Bar - Drinks
Sketch - Drinks
Mr Foggs- Drinks

Black Roe - Meal

Dec 22nd might be a kicker. Town will be rammed.
Obviously Roe wont match Galvin's, but I had a really nice meal/time there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thursday - Trip to Watford for the Harry Potter Studio tour, have booked the London Eye at around 6pm but then free after that
Are you sure you can get back for 6pm? Leavesden Studios is quite far out.

Anyhoo, Pied a Terre is walkable from your hotel but I don't know anyone who's been. The Ninth is also, which I would highly recommend but it's quite casual for a 1 star place. Failing that Social Eating House is nearby in Soho (walkable), but again that is quite casual for a 1 star place. I've never eaten there but the bar upstairs is great (The Blind Pig). Make sure you book though. Hell, this is London -- you'll need to book everything!

Associate
Last time I went Galvin at Windows it was reasonably priced. It certainly was under £500, might had even been under £200!

I recently revisited Five Fields and can highly recommend them, Angler is a good one if you like your seafood.

Soldato
OP
Last time I went Galvin at Windows it was reasonably priced. It certainly was under £500, might had even been under £200!

I recently revisited Five Fields and can highly recommend them, Angler is a good one if you like your seafood.

I was basing it on the taster menu at 100 per person and then the matching wine flight was about the same so that takes it to £400.

Whack a pre meal glass of champagne and a cocktail and maybe an after meal rum then I think it’s easily nudging £500.

Maybe lunch menus are a good shout. Get something good in at that time and then go for something more regular for tea.

Soldato
OP
Are you sure you can get back for 6pm? Leavesden Studios is quite far out.

No idea! The journey looked to be about 90 mind each way so I went off that. I’m factoring in about 3 hours there. So if we left about 10 am then thought it’d be ok.

From what I read most of the time is spent queueing for photos etc and I don’t see is bothering with that.

I’ve not even seen the films let alone read the books but my wife fancies it. I have thought about making that a separate trip though maybe March time.

Soldato
I was basing it on the taster menu at 100 per person and then the matching wine flight was about the same so that takes it to £400.

Whack a pre meal glass of champagne and a cocktail and maybe an after meal rum then I think it’s easily nudging £500.

Maybe lunch menus are a good shout. Get something good in at that time and then go for something more regular for tea.

Whenever I do a lunch it tends to be a 1:30pm and then I don't leave until like 3:30/4 anyway :p so by that time it's just a snack later on. I love a nice long lunch.

Soldato
No idea! The journey looked to be about 90 mind each way so I went off that. I’m factoring in about 3 hours there. So if we left about 10 am then thought it’d be ok.
I think you'll be able to do it, but to get down to the Eye in time you'd want to be back into town 5pm ish -- before that if you don't want to be rushing/heading straight down, which means leaving Leavesden realistically at 3pm ish. Do-able I guess but I've never been to the HP tour.

By the way, if you're down at the Eye then the Swan at the Globe is a fantastic restaurant. Great views over the Thames.

Associate
Oh I took the girl to HP Studios last year! It's better than I thought and I'm a non-fan, its also actually quite a full day out as opposed to a few hours so I'd factor more time than less for it.

Soldato
Always wanted to go there. Was it £100pp ish for the a la carte or a set menu? The budget alternative is Dishoom or Tandoor Chop House (the latter which I can't speak highly enough of!)

Back
Top Bottom