Retiring but may want zero hours contracts.

Soldato
As above I officially retire on 31st December. Age 65.

I will have enough income to live on, but thinking about filling those days. I am a professional Civil engineer and could get a less stressful similar position but it would probably be mainly full time in a similar post for most employers.

I would like to diversify a little and want suggestions for good companies to approach who may need my skill set, literate, educated, knowledgeable about construction etc. for part time or zero hours contracts.

The obvious spring to mind B&Q etc, but diversification is king.

Associate
Are there any Universities/colleges around you that you could be a guest lecturer at. Not sure what the pay/requirements would be but passing on your knowledge/experience to the next generation might suit more than helping someone find paint.

Soldato
OP
If you're at all self-motivated and have a particular hobby/pastime that can be monetised, it's the perfect time to start your own business I think.

That thought had crossed my mind.

I have a part complete software project written in VB (dates back also to some work in MS Quickbasic). It is a design software suite for piling. Maybe now I have time to bring it to market with some updating to Eurocodes.

Soldato
There is the question, if you don't need the income, why not just do something completely different, unskilled, which you can do when and if you want.

My dad worked in IT for a very long time and when he retired one of the things he did was do part time casual work for a local undertaker. Things like pall bearing and driving the hearse. It was casual work so they called up and asked if you were available for the certain days over the next week and you could say if you were or weren't. He only stopped doing it when he moved to a different area of the country.

Soldato
OP
There is the question, if you don't need the income, why not just do something completely different, unskilled, which you can do when and if you want.

My dad worked in IT for a very long time and when he retired one of the things he did was do part time casual work for a local undertaker. Things like pall bearing and driving the hearse. It was casual work so they called up and asked if you were available for the certain days over the next week and you could say if you were or weren't. He only stopped doing it when he moved to a different area of the country.

Mine became a part-time advisor for Age Concern in remoter areas of Worcestershire until he had to give up driving. Part time work doing something useful, charitable or not is attractive. My main reasons for retiring were to have a less stressful life so something that usefully fills some of my time, is also useful to an employer without taking undue opportunity from younger people would suit.

Back
Top Bottom