Retro console and games thread

Man of Honour
Can anyone recommend any shoot 'em ups? Would prefer PS1/PS2/PS3 unless some for the Commdore 64 exist. I mean the style of Raptor call of the shadows, not FPS.

Zanac X Zanac, Einhander, G Darius, R Type Delta and Donpachi on PS1. Be prepared to open your wallet a long way for some of those.

Caladrius Blaze, Under Defeat HD, Ketsui Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra and Mamoru-Kun Wa Norowarete Shimatta are about the only shumps on PS3

You could buy some of the PS1 shmups on PSN cheaper than physical.

Soldato
Speak of the devil, Einhander just came through the post. Cannot read a word on the back of the case but it shall be fun!

The JAP version is in English with jap subtitles so easy to play.

I still don't understand why it never got an official PAL release for that reason. One of the best games Square made which wasn't an RPG as Bouncer was crap.

Soldato
Oh that's good then, first decent shoot em up! Zanac X Zanac is the next goal, and to mark my memory cards and what is on them.

Didn't do too well on Einhander. I tried the game without the swap disc, and it loads anyway?

I thought it was region locked but the display on my tv I have for retro games has NTSC at the top, and not PAL.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's worth checking Amazon for import games as well as eBay. Prices can be a lot cheaper buying from Amazon.

I paid £15 delivered for G Darius and just £25 delivered for Caladrius Blaze from Amazon.

Don't forget you'll need a region free or Japanese console to play all but PS3 import games. Although a few of the Xbox 360 import shmups aren't region locked.

Man of Honour
I was referring to the Xbox 360 specifically. From what I've read in the past when researching shmups, the Xbox 360 has some Japanese games that will run on a PAL console.

As for PS1 and PS2 I didn't realise you were using the disk swap.

Soldato
Forgot to mention i got gifted the Kim Possible PS2 game by the Mrs for my birthday last week ;) she remembered the shenanigans of a failed cex order and it never came so she bought it on eBay for me by way of a small jokey gift.. silly mare bought a German copy :D lol. It's still pal and I booted it up and it all runs in full English, just the case is a different language. Will give it a go soon. Weirdly enough it's probably the best condition ps2 game I have, the case is lile brand new ;)

(I need to stop the winking and smiley faces ^)

Man of Honour
Soldato
Latest haul.

xmasearly.jpg

Soldato
You may have seen in the images I have purchased thread, but I got my Dreamcast online :)

OQUOEumh.jpg.png

This requires:

Dreamcast with Dreamkey 3, which connects to:
Voltage Inducer from "PC Wizard" a member of the Dreamcast community makes, which is connected to:
Specific model of Dell Modem; which is connected to
Raspberry Pi with DreamPi "OS" on it, which is connected to my router over wifi or ethernet

I can now play matches of Quake 3, Worms World Party, Phantasty Star Online... online.

Obviously it's no real use as a browser!

gr3BOxZh.jpg.png

And it is a 33KB/s connection...

KlImW7gh.jpg.png

But it was interesting and one of those things I just wanted to try for the novelty factor!

Soldato
Dreamcast online is well and truly cool! I have a feeling there is a broadband/ethernet adaptor out there for the thing as well... Is there much online stuff for it now? Remember playing quake 3 and sonic 2 online back in the day

Back
Top Bottom