Retro console and games thread

Associate
I have picked up an old-ass CRT for playing my PS2. I've connected it used SCART although I'm fairly sure it's too old for full RGB.

Anyway the main problem is that It's mono sound and has poor quality audio when using its speaker or connecting to my proper speakers via the 3.5mm headphone connection (also mono sound).

Ok I will use composite and plug video into the TV via a composite to scart adapter and plug red and white straight into my speakers' aux in.

However using composite out I only get a black and white image. This is based on the original composite cable, a component cable that has an extra yellow connector, and also an s-video cable that has a yellow connector.

The PS2 is set to RGB and the scart image was in colour. The TV has scart and yellow and white inputs, but one AV 'channel'. I only have one thing plugged in at a time.

Any ideas how to get colour composite?
I know nothing about the PS2, but it does sound as if there is there is some kind of mismatch. Is the PS2 definitely outputting composite? It may be component. Only other thing I can think of is a mismatch in the colour encoding. I'm assuming your PS2 is PAL and not NTSC?

Soldato
Charged up my PSP 1000 today, which is still on it’s original battery. Somehow it’s still going, with no swelling or visible issues.
Have left it on the Ratchet and Clank title screen (running from SD card) just to see what it’s got in the tank, and it’s still trundling on after 2 and a half hours. It’s a good showing given that this battery is an ancient relic.
Had been all set to rip out the UMD and buy a taobao extended battery mod, but it’s just not needed right now. Will see how many more years this battery gives, but it’s like DS Lite levels of battery quality. :D

Edit: 3:58.20 and it finally popped up the battery low light and went into standby. Great effort. :cool:

Soldato
How are plasma TVs for retro gaming? From memory when it was the 720p LCD / Plasma era they were "good for motion" but worse than LCD for something else (maybe colours/ blacks).

Haven't ever really considered them as a "better than LCD" but not as space consuming as CRTs.

Soldato
I'm using most of my consoles on a 2013 40" Sony LCD and they don't look too bad.

I'm gutted though as my GC internal battery has died and I don't own a soldering iron or set of screwdrivers to open it up to replace it.

Soldato
I've always liked playing retro games on my old Panasonic Plasma - TX-P50GT30B.

I thought it looked fantastic with the framemeister, but I have not tried with the RetroTINK 5X.

Soldato
Did anyone put an SSD in a PS3 back in the day? I'm tempted to not for speed improvements but for the clicking noises lol I've been spoilt by SSDs for too long.
I have an SSD in my PS3 slim, only because the original HDD died. I don't believe there are any benefits to doing so. However, I am hopeful this will add longevity to the console. Unsure why the HDD died in the first place.

Soldato
Makes sense to do so, especially with SATA SSDs being so ridiculously cheap these days.

I'm more concerned about the Xbox 360 moving forward. There'll be a time when all those original drives start to fail and you can't just put any drive in a normal console. I know there were tools to firmware patch specific WD (and probably other) models of hard drive so they'd work but those drives are undoubtedly long out of manufacture now and there won't be tools for modern drives. There's still a place for the Xbox 360 in my opinion - the backwards compatibility support on the Xbox One and Series X is good but there are still so many games that aren't and won't ever see support.

Last edited:
Soldato
The enclosures for both the original and slim 360s do indeed take a 2.5" drive, but you can't just put any drive in there without first patching the drive's firmware otherwise it won't recognise it. That's one area where the 360 really sucked in comparison to the PS3.

Back
Top Bottom