Retro Content - 1987 Tomos Golden Bullet Moped Mini-Project

Man of Honour
Not seen any ancient mopeds around these parts, so I thought I would bring my mini-project thread over from Retro Rides. I intend to do a reasonable job putting this thing back together for rattling around in my locale, between friends workshops/garages/shops etc.

Like all misadventures in my life, this one started while browsing the web. I found TravisTutorial on YouTube, and ended up looking at Puch Mopeds and the like - marveling at how cheap parts were, and how simple their oily bits are. Having decided that never owning a two stroke was a life sin, I mentally committed. So when I saw two, Barn find Tomos Bullet 50ccs at the local Stoke Row steam rally for £100 for the pair, my fate was sealed.

Owing to my excitement, the first pictures are a little naff,

Bike 1 is a wreck, seized engine, wheels, brakes and cables - with a crank case that more closely represents a wildlife pond...
gJsDk3wl.jpg

Bike two however, apparently ran a few years back.

ndBzcLal.jpg

Although not on the road...
2jIPIENl.jpg

On this basis, Bike 2 began coming apart...

ZqHZAvPl.jpg

BmYeJnKl.jpg

I then had guests, so It had to go to the shed...

5ccSNeSl.jpg

At this point, I got angry that nothing was shiny yet - and set about doing something about this...

yYx6AdHl.jpg

Turns out, even hefty anti corrosion primer won't stop a mag alloy furring up ... even under the paint >:D But alas, one wheel now has a decent 10ft paintjob..

GGs4Mwbl.jpg

Shortly followed by the other...

ih5gqcul.jpg

My inner magpie sated, I thought it might be nice to fix the rust on the frame...

Ancillaries have seen better days, brake cable corroded off in the lever...

F6TbZwhl.jpg

And rounded screws in the switches (couldn't even see the slots before a wire brush..)

f4wKFMJl.jpg

So naturally things escalated...

dIV3We8l.jpg

Now I know how I am spending the weekend....

Man of Honour
OP
A miss-spent saturday night later ....

This job is not easy...

PNGpoWNl.jpg

But I have one wheel with tyre!

1BGuWHll.jpg

The frame is now in Primer, my got they made Nitromors useless! Wire brush it was...

Th1ZjHDl.jpg

Not a bad finish, and I hate paint...

hxrKCL1l.jpg

Time to tidy the bombsite-bench and retire for the 24hrs of Le Mans!

lgCH41Pl.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Colour coat and Top Coat went on today ! I am totally fed up of paint!

n8BK0vNl.jpg

I also tried to fit the tyre on the front wheel, but it looks like my new inner tube had a leak around the valve :(

Soldato
The frame is now in Primer, my got they made Nitromors useless! Wire brush it was...

Yep, it's completely useless on most types of paint IME, barely does anything at all. It's also incredibly expensive, no one should even consider buying this overpriced junk.

It's still possible to buy the old type of paint stripper with Dichloromethane in it that actually removes paint (and is carcinogenic, wear thick gloves), but not from DIY sheds like B&Q. Paint suppliers are still permitted to sell this to 'professional' users for e.g. industrial applications, but it's not hard to find suppliers that will sell to anyone. Search for "Industrial Strength Paint Stripper" and you'll find it's easily available from one of the largest online retailers.

Associate
Takes me back hearing that name Tomos. Had a stack of these at the Royal Mail garage I did my apprenticeship in '88. Young Posties used them a lot before they were let loose in the vans back then.

And you're right about the two stroke sin, you're not a proper biker til you've owned a two stroke :p

Man of Honour
OP
That's love when you dedicate living room space for a tomos moped:D

Project looks great so far,you did a good job of the wheels and frame

It had to come through the house anyway, and I don't have a TV in the shed :D

Yep, it's completely useless on most types of paint IME, barely does anything at all. It's also incredibly expensive, no one should even consider buying this overpriced junk.

It's still possible to buy the old type of... ... online retailers.

I got caught out here, because the last time I used it was before the restrictions came into effect - it wasn't until I spoke to the guy in the hardware shop, he mentioned the change in ingredients.

I have a few friends who work in body shops, so next time round I will have a word with them.

Why didn't you have them media blasted/powder coated?

I wondered that about half way through stripping the paint, but when I looked at prices for the frame, bars, wheels and odds and ends - most places locally came back £200+ and this one is supposed to be a cheap project !

Takes me back hearing that name Tomos. Had a stack of these at the Royal Mail garage I did my apprenticeship in '88. Young Posties used them a lot before they were let loose in the vans back then.

And you're right about the two stroke sin, you're not a proper biker til you've owned a two stroke :p

Just the smell of premix has made me want an RD350 YPVS!

Man of Honour
OP
So last night I blew over the bars, book rack and swing arm in extra tough Hammerite

FgJyYM4l.jpg

Tea0lXcl.jpg

Also started lining up the shiny parts!

pKSxQXzl.jpg

And thought bike 1 might like a look in - I can't believe how tightly the piston is seized in the bore!

AWafkZnl.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Got on with some of the ancillary parts yesterday evening, painted again in tough hammerite !

PIO4T5nl.jpg

Got stuck into the carb, this little Encarwi has 50% less parts than your average leaf blower carb..

pWtZtNel.jpg

But now its pretty and functional at least. The UKs main Dellorto dealer is down the road from me, so I may plump for a 14/12 SHA as fitted to the later Tomos A35...

ii0012Dl.jpg

Now on to the crusty engine...

IPiFqk9l.jpg

First target, check the points and coils - if you don't own an impact driver, buy one - seriously, these screws would be stripped otherwise!

brjxoeKl.jpg

ZkP7Hzbl.jpg

Stroke of luck, its "just like a bought one" inside, clean as a whistle! Still went over the points with emery board though!

0fkS0vAl.jpg

While I had easy access, I also broke loose the gearbox filler and drain with the impact driver - for ease of use later...

wswT9HNl.jpg

And re-fitted the gold trim - because why not!

hQf9fT0l.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
I worked from home today, so at 17:31 I was out to the shed like a rocket!

Figuring it was time to make this thing look like a bike again, I refitted the swing arm, book rack and rear shocks, then the wheel too!

SW10eeVl.jpg

Next was the tree, which uses a loose bearing race - so I carefully got the balls and grease out and managed the bottom race..

xTjEF09l.jpg

I had time to pause for a picture on the top race, and I didn't lose or have any spare balls! (oh err matron)!

EzTgfGFl.jpg

Top yoke on...

56mqUJbl.jpg

About time for the engine I think! Refitted the carb...

jd9o3Kol.jpg

First bolt in, as per the workshop manual - just like a hinge!

3iA11xWl.jpg

Dodgy airbox goes in next!

3JZCC9cl.jpg

On with the chain that has been soaking in gearbox oil for a week - got all the rust off, although I still may buy a new chain in the near future,

y12GgmLl.jpg

Side cover and kick start, its starting to look whole again.

NQ7FR7fl.jpg

And finally, I threw on the forks and wheel from bike 1, just so it could stand on its own.

4ur23k6l.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks All :)

Now it looks like a bike again, controls and ancillaries are the name of the game. Since I am most comfortable with electronics, I thought I would start there...

These screws don't look healthy

n1T0ptil.jpg

Trying to clean the thread...

9nDNQLzl.jpg

Net result, 3 out one snapped...

rZmZhj2l.jpg

Then had to drill out the rivets, only one disaster - but I have two bikes worth of controls.

FUacLkYl.jpg

Open, and super crusty ...

xYRhjpVl.jpg

Time to clean these Up!

I did however, purchase some goodies.. SHA 14/12 and jets!

ynBbj75l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom