Retropie

Soldato
I am thinking of putting this on my Raspberry PI so I can play my DOS games on a silent, low power "PC" using HDMI.

Anyway I know that Retropie is "built onto" raspberian (or whatever it is called) but is raspbian a) included with the general Retropie download and b) usable as an OS at the same time as Retropi in a dual boot / partition kind of way?

Associate
I’ve found through various test builds that retropie works best from the prebuilt image. I ran into issues with updates when running on top of raspian. It’s easier to have a retropie micro sd and a standard raspbian one.

Soldato
I’ve found through various test builds that retropie works best from the prebuilt image. I ran into issues with updates when running on top of raspian. It’s easier to have a retropie micro sd and a standard raspbian one.
Agreed. Save yourself the aggro of trying to find out why something is now broken after running an update. Just get a few different SD cards for different images.

Associate
I've just spent a couple of evenings playing with a retropie on a 3B+. Tried a ton of stuff that I used to love back in the day, across a number of systems.
Really surprised by how almost all of it didn't hold up, or entertain me sufficiently to keep going. It's amazing what it's capable of but I can't see me swapping out my Plex SD card for Retropie that often.
Once I've finished "Zelda: Link to the Past" that is.

Last edited:
Soldato

Same here, SD cards are cheap enough to just have a dedicated one for retropie.

I did probably spend more time faffing around with it getting it all working and the roms in the right places than i actually ever have playing it though :( i think for me my childhood was the N64 which isn't very well emulated so the older stuff doesn't hold any nostalgia for me.

Back
Top Bottom