Return to DSLR, OSX Software?

Soldato
I used to use my 20D and Aperture a lot. Been a bit busy for the last few years and have hardly touched the camera. Picked up a used 7D as an early Christmas present for myself and to rekindle interest in SLR photography. Any issues with this camera I should be aware of?

What software are people using on OSX now Aperture's gone? I'm looking for similar features, cataloguing and processing. Something a bit more sophisticated than Google Photos, but not has heavyweight/expensive as Lightroom?

Never used a DSLR for video, what do I need to know? What basic editing software us good to start with?

Soldato
You've been hone a long time, as OSX is also long since gone - it is MacOS now!

I still use Lightroom, and it has moved on quite a bit. But it is a subscription model like so many these days. Capture One seems to get mentioned a lot, and that has both a subscription and single cost options.

Associate
I ditched the Adobe Lightroom setup a while back because I was looking for a cheaper method.

What I now use , and something that may work for your is Canon's own DPP program. (Free). I'm fairly well organised in terms of the initial saving / storing my images. I take them from the SD card, and place them into folders named:

YYYY MM DD - Description of Content
i.e.
2019 07 15 - Holiday in Skye

Then within DPP, I can simply browse the folder structures, and on selecting a folder, can see all the thumbnails pop up. Each image can be edited within DPP which is decent but not as advanced as lightroom, however the lens correction stuff is very good I think.

You can also easily flag, rate and star images and create collections within DPP. You can search / filter by those ratings etc, but I'm not sure about whether you can add keywords that can be searched later like you could in LR. That being said, I've never needed that because I can find images fairly quickly just by the naming structure I use for the folders. I reckon I would spend more time trying to keyword stuff than actuallyjust browsing to the folder. A neat thing I find is that the adjustments of RAW files seem to get stored back into the RAW file when saved, no messing with catalogue files.

Overall, its decent enough, a little quirky, a little slower in its responsiveness and adjustments being applied, but does compare favourably in terms of image quality with RAW files versus other programs. However, it does have limits, which for me I needed to get past. For example, adding gradient adjustments and fancier colour effects that the likes of Lightroom offered. My choice for the further image editing has become Affinity Photo ( its an alternative to Photoshop ). Single purchase program again (£50, but often on offer if you wait for deals), and plenty of updates with that single purchase ... and at this time, no obvious declaration of wanting to change for updated versions either. Affinity photo lets me do all the photoshop stuff that you could want to do.

So for my workflow, save to folder, browse rate and do basic edits within Canon DPP and batch process out to whatever. If there are ones which I need to edit beyond basic stuff, I can open the file directly in Affinity folder, adjust the RAW file and then do the photoshop type stuff to it, and then export it out from there.

Its not quite as slick as the Adobe workflow and there are a few more steps, however, its no where near as expensive ... a one off payment for Affinity, and thats it. I've saved a fortune over the last year.

Soldato
OP
You've been gone a long time, as OSX is also long since gone - it is MacOS now!

Turns out I'm still running OS X El Capitan! Four years of avoiding those updates. If it ain't broke don't fix it?
What am I missing out on? I have a MBP 15-inch, Mid 2012, 2.3GHz i7, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3, 500GB SSD.

Back
Top Bottom