• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Returning a CPU direct to Intel for RMA

Associate
Hi , I have a i7 6700k that has gone faulty , the system has been checked with my i5 6400 , the system works perfectly etc .

I have done a full bios reset etc....the chip appears to be the issue...

The chip is the boxed retail version , but I do not have the box , but I have checked via Intel website and the chip is clearly detailed as Retailed boxed

But I did not buy the chip new it was 2nd user , will Intel still accept the chip back ?

Or will it not be possible to return under the 3 year warranty ? it still has 2 years to run..

Advice please....

Associate
Just contact Intel's customer support and start an rma , you dont need to tell them that your the second owner, i've returned a few cpus to intel and have never been asked for any proof of purchase , you just need to give them an approximate date of purchase and it needs to be a retail chip as you've already confirmed.

Associate
OP
Just contact Intel's customer support and start an rma , you dont need to tell them that your the second owner, i've returned a few cpus to intel and have never been asked for any proof of purchase , you just need to give them an approximate date of purchase and it needs to be a retail chip as you've already confirmed.

Okay , thank you , would you say that based on the chip been under warranty until April 2019 , I should say I bought it around 9 months ago ? would that make it a approximate date , or could I widen it a bit and say 8 to 9 months ago to give a margin for error ?

I based the above on that the chip had 3 years warranty to begin with.

TYI

Associate
OP
You don't need to say anything, just put in the details of batch number and serial number and start the RMA.

https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo

I just did it. They picked up my 5930k two days after I raised the RMA and the new chip was with me two days later. No proof of purchase or date of purchase required.

Thank you for your reply,only issue I don't have the so I don't have the ATPO number , I cant scan the one on the chip.

i've gone through warranty support , they are asking me my test procedure to detail how i know the chip is faulty....I shall state, tested full system with new chip , works fine.

Associate
OP
Well, quick update, Intel have picked up the cpu this morning, it went back without the retail box.

Out of interest, when Intel replace the chip, will it be supplied back in as a full retail box kit, or just a CPU?

And will the warranty date begin again, full 3 years?

Associate
Well, quick update, Intel have picked up the cpu this morning, it went back without the retail box.

Out of interest, when Intel replace the chip, will it be supplied back in as a full retail box kit, or just a CPU?

And will the warranty date begin again, full 3 years?
Probably just cpu in a brown box. I doubt the warranty will begin again.

Back
Top Bottom