Returning car from foreign country help needed

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;21626071 said:
It's also loads more difficult than you think it is because almost no car is legally able to tow a trailer with a Toyota Avensis on the back.

Missed that it was a Toyota Avensis lol but I'd assume anyone with the appropriate trailer or hiring it out would be aware of the towing rules and checking where appropriate before hiring... but then I've never hired a trailer out.

Man of Honour
its hardly the heaviest of cars tbh circa 1400-1430kg , I would imagine anything a bit on the larger side ie 4x4 ish would be fine towing this on the appropriate trailer, even something like a 5 series or a Rav4 is allowed to tow 2000kg whereas most proper 4x4s are around 3500kg bear in mind whoevers towing will need a B+E licence or to have past their test circa pre 95

We'll use my 5 Series as an example seeing as you mentioned a 5 Series.

Weight of a 2005 Avensis Estate circa 1400kg
Weight of a typical car trailer circa 700k

Total weight of 2005 Avensis Estate on a trailer 2100kg

Maximum permitted braked towing weight of 530i circa 1900kg

So even a 1600kg 5 Series is touch and go, therefore I stand by my original comment that most typical cars cannot legally tow an Avensis Estate on a trailer.

Why bother anyway? Just book it in for an MOT?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21626150 said:
We'll use my 5 Series as an example seeing as you mentioned a 5 Series.

Weight of a 2005 Avensis Estate circa 1400kg
Weight of a typical car trailer circa 700k

Total weight of 2005 Avensis Estate on a trailer 2100kg

Maximum permitted braked towing weight of 530i circa 1900kg

So even a 1600kg 5 Series is touch and go, therefore I stand by my original comment that most typical cars cannot legally tow an Avensis Estate on a trailer.

Why bother anyway? Just book it in for an MOT?

because should he not be booking it into the nearest MOT station, rather than trailing half way up the country with it? might be easier for the OP to have work done local to him rather than the closest MOT station to his point of entry.

your a bit high with the trailer weights as well going for a 2000kg payload your average 16ft brian james weighs in around 550kg even so your still bang on the 2000kg limit by the time you add a 1450kg avensis on the back, and all it takes is a narky traffic copper to ruin your day.

OP know anyone with a flatbed? or try one of the car mover people that advertise everywhere. from the ferry terminal or eurostar to home or local garage, up here its circa 80p/mile one way try ebay for someone either up your neck of the woods or down near your point of entry

Last edited:

Soldato
a quick look at directgov and vosa sites give no mention of distance.

strange loophole but seems like its legally fine

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;21626242 said:
If you could show me the part of the Road Traffic Act that states a car which is SORN'd may only be driven to its nearest MOT station, I'd be much obliged :)

It does mention it somewhere I saw it when I was looking earlier but I can't for the life of me find it again now.

Man of Honour
Well I read it somewhere while browsing the direct.gov pages but I have no idea where or what context as I wasn't paying attention specifically to it.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21626439 said:
I suspect there is a reason why you can't find it..

seems like madness, makes buying sheds on ebay a lot more appealing if thats the case.

day insure a no tax no mot car bought on the south coast, book into my Glasgow MOT place, drive home not a care in the world via the MOT station.

I find it hard to believe its legal to do this but without any evidence to suggest it isnt I'll take it as being fine

Soldato
seems like madness, makes buying sheds on ebay a lot more appealing if thats the case.

day insure a no tax no mot car bought on the south coast, book into my Glasgow MOT place, drive home not a care in the world via the MOT station.

I find it hard to believe its legal to do this but without any evidence to suggest it isnt I'll take it as being fine

If the car isn't roadworthy then it's not legal to drive from the South coast to Glasgow - MOT or not. And with no tax/MOT the chances of being pulled over with said nail increase dramatically.

Last edited:
Soldato
If the car is being driven to your MOT testing station it still needs to be roadworthy and you still can be done for tyres, emissions, dangerous bodywork etc. etc.

So yes you can drive it to an MOT but are required to comply with all aspects of safety legislation.

Back
Top Bottom