Returning of equipment (BT)

Associate
I was out of contract with my old BT copper internet connection, so Upgrade to full fat fiber for the massive speed increase. they came installed the fiber, BT had sent me a new router as i was now Fiber.

They now sent me a Email tell me to return my old router else they charge me for it, but the way i see it. they GIVE it to me when i started my old (now fully fulfilled) contract, they did say they rent me a router, or lend me a router. but give me a router, as far as i'm concerned it mine, why should i return it and why should i pay for it if i do keep it

Man of Honour
Because that's probably what you agreed to when you signed the original contract. They would charge you for the service and lend you the equipment to access it for as long as needed. It's no longer needed so they want it back.

Tell them to send a returns pack and send it back.

Man of Honour
I was out of contract with my old BT copper internet connection, so Upgrade to full fat fiber for the massive speed increase. they came installed the fiber, BT had sent me a new router as i was now Fiber.

They now sent me a Email tell me to return my old router else they charge me for it, but the way i see it. they GIVE it to me when i started my old (now fully fulfilled) contract, they did say they rent me a router, or lend me a router. but give me a router, as far as i'm concerned it mine, why should i return it and why should i pay for it if i do keep it
They way you see it is completely irrelevant, the contract you signed/agreed to will most likely state that it belongs to BT, hence you should send it back as it belongs to them.

Surely there's better looking doorstops than a 2 year old BT HomeHub?

str

str

Soldato
Check your BT account, it should tell you how much you will be charged if it isn't returned. For an old HH5 it said the charge would be £0 so technically I didn't have to return it.

I had the later model from another contract and the charge was £50 which they took even though I returned it. The returned router wasn't showing in the BT system but they refunded after I called them and provided the tracking code from the receipt.

Caporegime
It's not worth keeping as while it's a decent enough piece of kit out of the ISP-supplied options, it's useless if you're with a non-BT provider.

Also your contract said you would give it back, so give it back. BT pay for the postage.

Associate
OP
End up sending it back, along with all the packing that came with the new one, + a number of even older BT router's, the crappy cables they supplied, after all if they doing to save the environment like they say, they surely the want the other stuff

Associate
BT will try and ask for all items back at all times from what I can tell. However, the "cut off" point of when items "used to" "be yours" and when it became instead to "on loan to you" was 2019 December 12th or there abouts. If you got your BT equipment before that date, it is yours, call them up and let them know and they'll write it off basically. Otherwise, if you obtained these items after this date, it is classed as "on loan" instead and is expected to be returned or a fee will be charged.

Of note, only the Home Hub 5a/b and HH6/Smart Hub is even worth keeping, as they can be turned to a 4 port gigabit switch if you need it and in the latter ones case suitable for more moden wifi access point use. Otherwise, there's usually better aftermarket choices for switches, etc for use instead.

Caporegime
You seem weirdly invested in being able to keep something that is of absolutely no use to you at all once you've left the network it was built to work with

Back
Top Bottom